Newbie -- Alchol after WLS?

bandgirl
on 8/30/16 9:56 am

Thank you Melinda.  This is me I don't drink a lot that was in my younger days

CMR1075
on 8/31/16 6:01 am
VSG on 01/15/16

Lol I tried alcohol for the first time after surgery on my recent honeymoon and was drunk halfway through my drink. It's a good thing I'm not a drinker at all and could care less if I ever have one. I think my alcoholic abusive ex-husband has solidified that thought for me. I don't see anything wrong with a drink here or there but I didn't realize there was an underlying issue of getting hooked with gastric patients. Interesting.

mute
on 8/31/16 6:14 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I take it very seriously who I'm drinking with since I know I could potentially get drunk very quickly. Since surgery I've had wine with my husband and my parents (at the same time in my home) and my best friends in a hotel each time. Never when I was going to be driving and never with people I didn't know well. Also when I say I have a glass of wine I order a glass of wine and I usually drink about 1/2 of it - until my food gets there since I don't drink with food and I won't drink it too quickly. I guess I'm just aware of all the potential issues that come along with it and it's not been an issue for me but I can see how it could be an issue for another person. I'm lucky that I haven't had a transference problem so far. And will continue to hope that I'm lucky!

The Salty Hag
on 8/30/16 7:09 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Later, like after you're at goal...you can try it at home to see how you react, but like the others have done...I will caution you that transfer addiction is ALWAYS a possibility, even if you aren't worried about it becoming one.

You definitely don't want to introduce it back into your routine during your losing phase, and especially not while your liver is being taxed already by the rapid weight loss we experience early out.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Heather_Austin
on 8/30/16 8:13 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 08/26/13

A lot of people don't have issues with alcohol and I'm glad and sometimes even a little jealous!  I go out with my friends for happy hour and they enjoy a drink or two and I indulge in a Diet Coke (I don't normally drink sofa it's my rare indulgence).  

I just wanted to share that it is a lot more common for those of us that over indulged in food to overindulge in something else.  I'm still battling it in other areas.  I've got the food under control and thankfully I'm fine without alcohol but I'm spending way too much time shopping for my new house.  

A lot of people can handle it fine.  I could until I couldn't at age 42.  I'm not trying to tell people not to drink - just to be mindful.

Dcadaval
on 8/30/16 9:54 am
VSG on 06/20/16

I was recently on a cruise and had a few drinks, I really enjoyed them and it did not affect my weight at all, actually lost weight during the cruise (first time that's ever happened to me).  Proceed with caution and enjoy.  

Age: 43. 6' 1" HW 413 lbs. VSG on 06/20/16 at Jackson South w/ Dr. Jacobsd

bandgirl
on 8/30/16 9:59 am

Thank you that is what I wanted to know.  Not something we do all the time, but a cruise I want one.  Plus no worries about driving

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 8/30/16 6:17 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Just remember that the previous poster results are not typical & he is in his honeymoon period. Believe me, try it 2 years later & you won't losing. 

Now I'm not saying don't enjoy a drink ever, but really that **** should be on the shelf while in weight loss mode. It's not just the calories you have to worry about, its the alcohol. Your liver is going to be in overdrive while you're in rapid weight loss mode & you'll tax it even more by drinking. The alcohol will hit you much quicker, even for me at 2 years out I can get tipsy a lot faster now than b4 wls.

I liked to drink b4 wls & I still like to drink, but I am a lot more picky on when & if I drink. You'll have to decide if taxing your liver even more, possibly stalling or reversing your weight loss is worth it. Sometimes it will, sometimes, hopefully most times, it won't. This is a lifestyle change, you'll have to change your approach to alcohol. Permanently. It sucks yeah, but it is so worth it in the end.

Good luck!  

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/16 10:23 am

Eating or drinking to many calories and losing weight. Is like not getting caught speeding. We just get lucky. Oh yea I am on the peanut MM diet and I keep losing weight. 

NYMom222
on 8/30/16 3:46 pm, edited 8/30/16 8:48 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I am over 2 years out and had my first 1/2 a drink the other day. I have had a few sips of wine over the 2 years... My surgeon really doesn't want this patients to drink at all... and especially not during weight loss. Losing weight is taxing on your liver - and drinking only adds to an already taxed liver. Even though we don't feel drunk anymore, it takes longer for us to get it out of our systems... He had one patient at one point he was trying to help keep his job, as he had failed a random drug/alcohol check from drinking the night before..... He didn't feel drunk, but it was still in his system.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save