Comments making me uncomfortable

mute
on 8/24/16 11:45 am
RNY on 03/23/15

He's not overweight, seems relatively healthy to me. He may be asking for a family member or friend, that never occurred to me actually.

I should have known the answer lies in Hamilton. The answer is always Hamilton!

Kudzu
on 8/24/16 9:48 am
VSG on 07/28/16

I've started getting a lot of comments as well; or stares, and those who don't know will say something like "that color of scrubs really look good on you, you should wear that color more often". I'm down nearly 50 lbs and it's definitely noticeable. But, I truly feel all the questions that I'm getting is like Kate said, they are curious for themselves or for a family member. My husband is even spending his lunch breaks these days sharing my "story" with some of the guys he works with who are asking for themselves or their spouses. I've been completely open about my surgery, though. If he's truly just being nosy, I'd say 'butt out', but if he wants to know for himself, for a family member or for a friend, I'd love to be an influence for someone like that. 

peachpie
on 8/24/16 4:24 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I haven't encountered people like this- I'm hoping because when people do start inquiring I tend to gently deflect to change the topic. If he persists I'd answer his question with a question-maybe-"what makes you so invested in my appearance?" 

My sister is the only one implies that  I'm bordering on too thin- and frankly I feel my face (especially my resting ***** face lol) is looking a little ghoulish- but I know it'll bounce back. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Donna L.
on 8/24/16 4:57 pm, edited 8/24/16 9:58 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I just state the reason.  It saves trouble later for the most part, though I've run into some ignorant people in a few autoimmune support groups.

My method isn't for everyone, but if my quips don't work (I tend to say outlandish things if someone is pushy), I just confront them assertively.  "I've attempted to answer your question several times.  This line of inquiry is now inappropriate for the work place."

The "broken record" response tends to work.  Just repeat yourself ad nauseum.  Works great with salesmen or anyone with poor boundaries.  Literally just repeat yourself over and over.  "I just stay on top of my health" is a great response.  Eventually, people knock it off.  I often pretend such individuals are five years old which amuses me and helps.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

mute
on 8/25/16 5:14 am
RNY on 03/23/15

This person is actually a salesperson lol. I like the stay on top of my health response!

Donna L.
on 8/25/16 2:56 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Woops, I totally missed that, haha!

The guy is basically a tool for sure.  I think you will do fabulous with the attitude you have.  Good job not letting his toolness drag you down:)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Shel25
on 8/27/16 7:54 am

I might make "I just stay on top of my health" my personal mantra today.  What a positive intention!

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

Deanna798
on 8/24/16 6:23 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

I'll add that maybe he's just completely socially awkward and doesn't know any better?  I remember you said something about this guy when he asked you if you were sick.  Maybe he wants to show concern and support and just doesn't know how to approach it.

Or he's a giant douche.  Either way, I think you handled it appropriately.  If he approaches you again, just tell him that talking about it makes you uncomfortable?

I'm so out there with my life,  I never have this issue.  I kinda talk a lot! LOL

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

mute
on 8/25/16 5:19 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I'm open with my surgery, I announced that I was having it the second I decided lol. I know I could never keep lies straight to different people haha. But it was the are you sick comment that bothered me and made me not give him the I had surgery answer right away. More so because I guess I didn't want to give someone the impressing that RNY = sick maybe? Really if everyone at work found out I had RNY I wouldn't care and I've told a few people here so maybe most people know, I have no idea.

I generally don't talk to many people because I'm quiet IRL :)

sheriberi29
on 8/25/16 3:00 am - Cleveland, TN

If he's over weight, he may be looking for information and help. However, you didn't lie when you said diet and excercising . If you want to leave it at that, it's none of his business and you do not owe him any explanation . I think If he asks another question about it is probably come back with something like ..." Wow, thank you for your concern about my health, again I'm fine, feeling great and there's no need for your concern . 

Banded 6/9/09 HW 242 LW 142 Revision 198 m 1 loss 16 lbs 182. M 2 loss 4 lbs 178. M3 loss 6 lbs 174.m4 loss 4 lbs 168. M5 gain 2 lbs 170. M6 loss 7 lbs 163 M7 loss 5 lbs 159 M8 loss 1 lb 158 M9 loss 0 M10 155 loss 3 M11 154 loss 1 M12 loss 2 152 M13 loss 3 149 M16, 17 0 loss M 18 loss 4 lbs 145 (18 months 53 lbs)