Newbie - Dumping Syndrome how often do you get this?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/19/16 3:47 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Candy and jello? Yes.

I can PHYSICALLY do sugar-free ice cream after VSG, but I don't since it's a slider food and empty calories.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/19/16 11:17 am

i get dumping every time....I eat/ drink things that have a lot of sugar... drinking is worse that sweet food

I can tolerate chocolate just fine - but even 1 tbs of ice cream made me wish I were dead..  I did it one time only.  

Sweet tea - OMG... (I was served sweet tea and I was told it was made with splenda) - For a year i gagged when I smelled tea...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Deanna798
on 8/19/16 12:21 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

I don't have the typical dumping problem, but I do get sick when I eat a lot of sweets or simple carbs.  I try to stay away from them, so it doesn't happen often.  I don't really have what you would consider traditional dumping, because it takes a lot of junk to make me sick.  

The best way to avoid dumping is to avoid sugar, and that is all there is to it.  Reading labels is really important, since there is a lot of sugar in things that you wouldn't think would have sugar.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

bandgirl
on 8/19/16 2:00 pm

Thanks I'm finding that is the best way for weight loss cut out the sugar and carbs.

Deanna798
on 8/19/16 7:57 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

I saw your question above about sugar free foods.  I eat them occasionally,  but i have reactions to sugar alcoho if i eat too much of it, but i was sensitive to it before surgery,  so it doesn't really have anything to do with surgery.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

(deactivated member)
on 8/19/16 10:37 pm - CA

15 years post op and I still dump.  

Ladytazz
on 8/20/16 12:56 am

I've only gotten it a handful of times, only when I have accidentally ingested something with sugar.  After having it happen once I go to any length to avoid it.  It is very unpleasant for me.

And yes, it is a great determent.  I am a sugar addict and I know without a doubt that if I didn't dump I would be eating it.  I did after my first WLS and look where it got me.  To a second WLS.

I do eat sugar free items but not a whole lot since I don't get the same cravings I got when I had the real thing.  And lately I can't eat hardly any sugar alcohol without embarrassing side effects.  So I stick with Splenda and it doesn't seem to cause any issues.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 8/20/16 7:19 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

To dum*****r to dump.  That would not be my criteria to chose between VSG or the RYN. Neither will allow you to eat many sugars and keep you weight off, so since you only have one best chance at WLS really working, I might suggest you wait until you get over the sugar, if you are still srtuggling with sugar (seems implied from your responses, but I am not positive). 

Sugar=>high calories=>weight regain. For either VSG or RYN surgery, DS is more forgiving.  Most people on VSG or RYN track their calories are around 1000-1200 a day to maintain in the normal BMI range (according to research), but the longtimers on OH can give you their experience.  1000-1200 is not a lot of calories to get in 80 grams of protein (even for a woman) and some veggies. 

You should worry about your concern that you will need to cut out sugar because it is high calories, not because it will cause you to dump.

I may have misread your post, if so, let me know, but leave this hear because I am sure there are people who think they can out-smart their bodies after WLS and keep their sugar habit - not so, I need to use all my diet tips - label reading, portion control, food tracking, to stay in the normal BMI range. But, I am finding it do-able where without the surgery I maintained at a low weight for like 1 week before the weight started coming back.  I am still under 2  years post surgery, but I have maintained at/under my goal weight for almost a year - which is a world record for me.  (I have a little Olympic fever)  I am developing the confidence that whatever issues arise in the next 5 years, that I will work through them to stay healthy and get help when needed.

Best wishes for success on your journey,

Sharon

bandgirl
on 8/20/16 11:35 am

Sugar is not my problem.  I actually love low carb that makes me happy and I feel better while doing it.  Just if I do accidently get some sugar less dumping is always great.  If I want chocolate just want to make sure I can try the sugar free because the real sugar makes me feel horrible after eating it.  Thanks for all your help. 

I am sure weight loss will always be an issue and fully aware this is an incredible tool we are given to help with the weight loss process.

For those also looking at what to get I'm still looking more at the sleeve.

If anyone is in Florida and needs a great Bariatric doctor mine is incredible he did my band removal.  

NYMom222
on 8/20/16 8:27 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I would not make my choice of surgeries over dumping. Many see it as a blessing in disguise- as it keeps you away from eating basically unhealthy foods you shouldn't be eating anyway.

That being said, I think with both surgeries, many people find there are certain foods that just don't 'agree' with them. It is very random and no way of knowing. For me, 2 years out I still can;t tolerate cold cuts .... I can eat them, but never feel good after. So for the most part don't do it.... even though I get jealous of people's menus where they have 'turkey and cheese' roll up as a choice. How easy? Just not for me..

It changes too ...somethings that don't agree in the beginning, further out you can eat.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save