Post Op comparisons between husband and wife

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/16 3:19 pm

I'm now on pureed and the first day I had refried beans and scrambled eggs. OMG were they good. Today though, I'm not hungry at all. I don't feel the normal kind of nausea where you feel sick, it's more like nothing sounds good and I really don't want to eat or even drink. Everything I have tried as a puree has given me gas to the point I get one bite in and I'm full. It's not painful, just filling. Gas X/Beano doesn't help. The husband is rocking after his surgery though. He's not having any of the same side effects as I. I don't know how he is doing it. He gets all his protein shakes in (he drinks 3 a day) and his liquids plus 3 meals of pureed food a day (3-4 oz each). He can drink a 16.9oz bottle of water in a matter of 20/30 min. Is that normal? It takes me 2 hours to drink one! Experts....what do ya think?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/18/16 3:40 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

If you're worried, I'd definitely suggest calling your surgeon. There's a lot of variation between patients, and it's always smart to check with an expert if you're worried. Your surgeon may have needed to do slightly different things during the procedure because of different anatomy, so it's totally possible that things are a bit different!

When you say you get "one bite," how big is a bite? I was told to take bites the size of a grain of rice, and that helped me to slow down and eat tiny amounts.

Has he been instructed to eat 3 - 4oz per sitting? That's a LOT of food, especially so soon out. We don't feel restriction at first, since the nerves in our stomachs have been cut, so it's important to take in small amounts so you don't hurt your healing guts. It might be worth checking your doctor's instructions to double-check on this one.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/16 5:46 pm

One bite is about the size of a dime and even though it's pureed, I chew it and chew it. One bite and Im done for about 30 min then the pressure/fullness goes away. But I feel like I have to burp for about 15 min after that bite. My husband was 420 before surgery so his tummy might be a bit bigger than mine. I was 296 before surgery. Our nutrition guide says we are to have 2-3oz of pureed food at each sitting. Im getting about 1-1.5oz right now and he is getting about 3-4oz. Says he feels the pressure at that point and stops. He chews as much as I do, we have really been focusing on that. I had a difficult time getting liquids down after surgery because of the gas so I stayed 3 days in the hospital. He came home the next day after surgery like a champion and has been doing well since. His surgery was 5 days before mine. I know it's not a competition and Im definitely not pushing it but Im still jealous how easy this all has been for him. Some people have all the luck. The doctor says we are both doing great but I do call them for everything. Im sure they hate me by now lol.

Kudzu
on 8/18/16 3:54 pm
VSG on 07/28/16

I'm certainly not an expert, but I can relate. I get full; painfully so, to the point of the food and the foamies backing up into my esophagus if I don't stop when I feel satisfied, which is just a few small bites for me. I make meals last for awhile as well as the shakes, if I have one.  Just stick it in the fridge and keep persisting until you get it down. I know we all heal differently and maybe like someone said, the anatomy could play a part. I keep thinking that it's not a race and I'll get there. 

sheriberi29
on 8/18/16 5:19 pm - Cleveland, TN

Everything sparkly kitty said.... Also, because of the different anatomy and possible variations they may have made, he could just be less swollen than you . 

Banded 6/9/09 HW 242 LW 142 Revision 198 m 1 loss 16 lbs 182. M 2 loss 4 lbs 178. M3 loss 6 lbs 174.m4 loss 4 lbs 168. M5 gain 2 lbs 170. M6 loss 7 lbs 163 M7 loss 5 lbs 159 M8 loss 1 lb 158 M9 loss 0 M10 155 loss 3 M11 154 loss 1 M12 loss 2 152 M13 loss 3 149 M16, 17 0 loss M 18 loss 4 lbs 145 (18 months 53 lbs)

ChristineB
on 8/18/16 6:45 pm - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
On August 18, 2016 at 10:19 PM Pacific Time, ExcitedButScared wrote:

I'm now on pureed and the first day I had refried beans and scrambled eggs. OMG were they good. Today though, I'm not hungry at all. I don't feel the normal kind of nausea where you feel sick, it's more like nothing sounds good and I really don't want to eat or even drink. Everything I have tried as a puree has given me gas to the point I get one bite in and I'm full. It's not painful, just filling. Gas X/Beano doesn't help. The husband is rocking after his surgery though. He's not having any of the same side effects as I. I don't know how he is doing it. He gets all his protein shakes in (he drinks 3 a day) and his liquids plus 3 meals of pureed food a day (3-4 oz each). He can drink a 16.9oz bottle of water in a matter of 20/30 min. Is that normal? It takes me 2 hours to drink one! Experts....what do ya think?

So, I have read this over and over and have not seen what surgery your husband has had and how long ago . . . I am not sure why your are comparing yourself to your DH as everyone's anatomy is different. Did he have the same surgeon? My DH had RNY 4 months (2003) after me and can eat far less than I can. We had different surgeons and a different medical group. Each doctor does what is best for each patient. And everyone's nerve endings heal differently.

Give it time and you will still have differences. There are times that I can hardly eat 1/3 cup of cottage cheese and he can eat 4-5 ounces of chicken breast.

NEWBIES!

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

(deactivated member)
on 8/22/16 4:25 pm

We both had VSG with the same surgeon 5 days apart. I am just wondering if I am on the right track. Will there be days that I can't eat as much as others? Is there a set amount that people are supposed to be able to eat at each phase or does it vary? The nutritional printout they gave us doesn't vary person to person, it's generic, so I was just curious about everyone else's experiences.