Need advice!

AntoniaP
on 8/16/16 3:21 pm

I have been thinking about bariatric surgery for a while and would love some advice from someone with experience.  I realize that at the beginning it must feel amazing to lose all this weight, but how is life with the general food restrictions afterwards? How is life different after surgery.  Are there many rules and restrictions?  What are the most frequent complications?

ive been struggling with my weight all my life and i feel disappointed in myself for not being able to accomplish weight loss on my own. I feel like i can never get a hold on it.  my husband is not very supportive, hes worried about the aftermath. any feedback would be appreciated.

chassibi
on 8/16/16 4:00 pm

I am a newbie (4 months post op) so cannot answer you about long term. But I would suggest you use the search bar and answer some of your questions. They are common ones. 

Welcome! 

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

TimeToHealRich2016
on 8/16/16 4:21 pm - CA
VSG on 07/11/16

Wow...deja vu.  Your post about so many of the typical thoughts brings me back to when I also, 4 years ago, tried to decide.  I can only say that I didn't answer those questions well and fully.  So definitely do your homework on experience of others and try to match them up with your own life experiences.  My path caused me to go through two lose-weight-on-my-own but not keep it off years. Then I decided to get serious due to diabetes, health, loss of brother to this and I am so happy.  I wish I had done it before!  At 64, I wished I was wiser back then.

Do your homework for sure, meet or talk with people, read books, and apply what's right for you.  Big consideration is what type of WLS also.

Rich

HW: 447 SW: 415 GW: 240 CW: 339 Total WL = 110

WL: Pre-op: -32 M1: -27 M2: -19 M3: -14 M4: -9 M5 & M6: -9 in progress

White Dove
on 8/16/16 4:49 pm - Warren, OH

For me it was the same as before.  I have to restrict my food and watch the scale.  I spent my whole life on diet after diet.  The only difference is that with the surgery I lost the weight and have been able to keep it off for nine years, so far.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Deanna798
on 8/16/16 5:26 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

I think White Dove hits the nail on the head.  You saw my post about how the head issues are always a problem for me, but the thing about surgery is that it gives us an advantage.  Before surgery I could never stay strong enough to diet and lose a significant amount of weight.  I'd be good at stopping the gain for a few months while I tried very hard to "diet", but I always gave up and went back to eating like it was my job .  At my highest weight, when I decided to have surgery, I was 291 pounds.  I'm 5'3" and my BMI was 51.5 which put me into the super morbidly obese category.  

Surgery isn't a miracle. I still have to struggle and fight against my food demons. BUT it gives me the tool to lose the weight and keep it off.  Now, if I'm mindful and stay on my toes I can lose weight and keep it off.  

only you know if you're willing to make the sacrifices necessary to follow a low carb, high protein diet.  There are specific rules that need to be followed for success.  Like me, you can struggle and fall off the horse occasionally, as long as you get right back on and keep trying.  Or, you might find that life after surgery is just what you needed and it's easy for you to maintain the lifestyle.  I know that not everyone struggles like I do.  Either way, as long as you're honest with yourself and your expectations, you can be very successful with weight loss surgery. 

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Ohiodietguy
on 8/17/16 2:34 pm

Oh I completely can identify with your post!  I continue to struggle with food !

Starting Weight 337  Current Weight 178.4 BMI 22.3