I was sad for a moment, but then I realized...

Deanna798
on 8/16/16 5:12 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

Hi Antonia.  I will be honest.  Having RNY Gastric Bypass is the best decision I have ever made, outside of having my children.  I don't say this in front of my hubby, because I don't want to make him feel like it's better than meeting him, but honestly, outside of my children, this was the best thing that ever happened to me.  It has changed my life completely.  I've lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time and gotten my health back.  I'm 43 and have been obese for 2 decades.  My diabetes has gone into remission, I have energy and my health.

when I was super morbidly obese, I was sick and depressed all the time.  My health was declining quickly and I had a hard time even walking around the grocery store.  I was even starting to have trouble wiping my own butt.  I could do it, but was carrying so much weight around my middle that I had to really stretch and strain to reach and then most of the time my stomach muscles would cramp like crazy when I was doing it.  That's the first time I've ever told anyone that, but it's the honest to goodness truth.

I can't tell you to definitely have surgery, because I don't know your situation, but for me it was the right thing to do.  It's scary to have someone cut you open and rearrange your insides, but I can promise you that surgery will give you an advantage that you could never have without it.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

peachpie
on 8/16/16 3:46 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I love today's picture!!! I'm so glad you posted this cause doubts have been entering my mind lately. I periodically will question if I'm doing this right- so I'll reread my binder from my surgeon, Google basic questions to make sure my mind hasn't convinced me of anything that's not the case. It's weird-- but I'm glad for it cause I'm not complacent. The struggle keeps us in our toes!

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

lking
on 8/16/16 3:51 pm, edited 8/16/16 8:52 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

Yup, it makes everything we go through so worth it AND as a bonus we get our health back!  You're look'n so good!!!

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

Kudzu
on 8/16/16 4:27 pm
VSG on 07/28/16

Amazing. I must say that during the short time I've been here, you are probably the person who stands out to me the most. Your advice to others is always full of encouragement and not condemnation. You are the type of person I look up to and say "yes, I wanna be like her when I grow up!" - meaning in weight loss, post surgery, knowledge from being real and living through struggles; the valleys and the mountain tops. I always read what you tell others and really feel you care and speak from your heart and soul. What a role model for many of us here. Congratulations and God bless your very long life. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/17/16 6:17 am

Very nice..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

bac527
on 8/17/16 7:02 am

Thanks for your post. I can totally relate to your story. I just said to someone yesterday that having the surgery can be the easy part, but the day to day planning, weighing, struggling with temptations is like a full-time job....but a job with great benefits!! I do not regret having the surgery one bit.

Thank you.

karenp8
on 8/17/16 3:44 pm - Brighton, IL

What a change one year makes,Deanna! Just wanted to let you know that you have done amazing and do not struggle alone. I am 4 years out and still come here everyday I have Internet because it is a struggle for me too each and every day and each and every choice. Coming here keeps me accountable and helps me realize that others struggle too,just like my before picture on my frig reminds where I came from.. With your honest and real attitude,I see lifetime success in your future! Congratulations and thanks for sharing your journey with us!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 8/20/16 7:26 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Very cool.

One idea that helps me - there is no BEFORE and AFTER.  Just THEN and NOW. 

WLS does not cure obesity - it makes it manageable.  So, we keep the focus on the NOW.

Sharon

Boxerlover3452
on 8/23/16 6:40 am
RNY on 06/06/16

Thanks for posting this Deanna.  I needed to hear it.