No answers in BC.

Roma
on 8/18/16 5:41 pm
RNY on 06/15/15

Do you have any ability to relocate to Ontario, even for a year or two? It might be worth it for you. 

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

dietersteven
on 8/19/16 11:31 pm

That's an awesome idea Roma!! ... Although not sure moving would work for me I gotta say,  it's tempting? And I have family in Kitchener! 

If they (BC) would even just confirm that they have received the referral I would at least feel like I have a chance at Surgery and follow ups near my home. The hard part is being completely in the dark. 

I have two relatives who both went the self pay option with success back when BC Med wouldn't cover the procedure. 

In BC they now cover the procedure but in doing so they have also seen fit  to "take control" of the gastric bypass surgery industry here. I'm only starting this journey but From my perspective , they have created a disaster of it and a bottleneck. 

My doctor has been told that it can take up to 12 years from the time your GP makes a referral  until you've had surgery. 

I've struggled with obesity since the age of 10 and I've had many successes and failures.. I continue to fight ...  but at 49 and approaching 330 lbs..... In 12 years I could easily be over 450,  very sick,  and or worse.

For me self pay, out of province or out of country is the obvious choice.