Potential Complications 3+ years post op. Any assistance appreciated!!

D. Scott
on 8/12/16 5:26 pm
RNY with

Where to begin? So I had Lapband in 2009 but had to revise to VSG in 2012 due to mild complications. I wasnt overly successful with my sleeve as I had severe acid reflux from the very beginning and never lost my hunger. I also only lost 50lbs total for the first year with a lot of hard work and began regaining right after the 1 year mark. I am almost 4 years post op, have regained almost all of my weight and am having some health concerns that may be connected to my sleeve. I had to have my gallbladder removed in February. Now I am having severe pain in my abdomen. After going to urgent care it was discovered I have three Hernias but the doctor also suspects Gastric Outflow Obstruction. I havent yet met with the doctors I am being referred to, to discuss the location of these hernias (one is hiatial, one is inaugural, unsure about the third) and how they impact my stomach sleeve. I would prefer to not see the general surgeon they are sending me to and would like to go back to mine or another bariatric surgeon to troubleshoot the issues but Im not even sure how to request that referral instead. So my questions for anyone with experience in any of the above issues are:

1. Do you know anything about Gastric Outflow Obstruction (connection to the pyloric valve) in regards to post bariatric surgery? Could this be a leak? I cant find anything that discusses this as a complication of VSG so I am completely in the dark as to whether this has any connection to my surgery esp so many years post op?
  2. Any thoughts or experience relating to hernia repair post VSG or bariatric surgery?
  3. Any advice on how I can request a bariatric surgeon over a general surgeon?
  4. Has anyone been able to revise to RNY or DS under a 40 BMI with complications of this nature or is this not grounds to discuss VSG failure? I do believe there has been something not completely correct since the very beginning but I never had anything substantial to investigate until now.

Thanks in advance for any help!

petra65
on 8/13/16 4:16 am - AL
VSG on 06/28/16

I am certainly not the expert on this but I can tell you this is definately not a leak.  Outflow Obstruction is exactly as the name implies: food is having difficulty leaving the stomach (sleeve) through the pyloric valve and entering the intestines.

Consultation Weight: 261. SW: 241. CW: 191  GW: 135

D. Scott
on 8/21/16 9:02 am
RNY with

Thank you, I hadnt thought about it in those simple terms so you helped clarify it for me. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/21/16 10:22 am
RNY on 08/05/19

As far as the referral-- call your bariatric surgeon. Say, "Hi, I think I've got a couple of hernias. Can I make an appointment for the doctor to take a look?" They can help you figure out the referral situation per your insurance.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

D. Scott
on 8/22/16 3:58 pm
RNY with

Thanks for the suggestion. I called today but they would need me to be re-referred back to them and my current medical group would put them out of network plus my current PCP is completely anti weightloss surgery and is unwilling to refer me. Since I plan on switching PCPs I may try to switch groups as well. 

Thanks Again!