Newbie looking for supporters...

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/16 6:39 pm - Charlotte, NC

Hello everyone!

I have my first consultation 8/22/16 and have a ton of questions even though I've done double the research as well as talked to people who've been through it. I haven't quite decided between the RNY and VSG yet, but I'm leaning towards one more than the other. I'm a 26 year old nursing student and I'm looking forward to making this change. I'm located in the North Carolina region (FYI), but I'm open to supporters everywhere. I just recently started back meal prepping and would love to exchange some ideas.

PS0705
on 8/11/16 7:26 pm
VSG on 08/04/16

Hi There!

I just had my VSG one week ago today.  The first 2-3 days were rough but I LOVE it now.  I also had really bad reflux but that is gone now with Pepcid twice a day. As of TODAY I am down 16 pound.  I tried a hospital supervised weight loss program for a year and a half and only ended up rebounding higher than when I began. They put me on Topomax (had word finding issues) and Phentermine (would get angry easily).  Can't recommend this enough. - I am soo happy :)

God luck with whichever you choose.

*I'm in Michigan but still here for support for you!!

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/16 8:10 pm - Charlotte, NC

Hey, thanks for your reply! Congrats on your surgery and I hope you recover well and fast. How long was your process because I know everybody is different depending on insurance.

Joshua H.
on 8/12/16 5:30 am
VSG on 10/26/16

Hi Jamada -- best of luck moving forward.

I am in about the same spot you are (I am scheduled for my consults on the 25th).

I can give you the ballpark on my process from talking to everyone...

Starting at the 25th

• 1-2 weeks for sugeon/psych approval
  • 1-3 weeks for insurance submission/approval
  • 3-6 weeks for surgery to be scheduled

Looking at 5-11 weeks from my consults, so 7-13 weeks from now.  I have been told, generally that surgeon/psych approval is quicker than 2 weeks, and my insurer (UHC) and the plan I'm on approve quickly.  Last time I talked to my coordinator she said they are scheduling about 4 weeks out -- so I am looking like it will be much closer to 7 than 13.  Because of pre-planned work trips, I am hoping for 8 to 9 weeks out.

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/16 1:06 pm - Charlotte, NC

Hey Joshua! Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure how long the process will be for me yet, but from what I've read about my insurance (Cigna), it looks like either 3 or 6 months. Good luck on your journey!

Teena D.
on 8/12/16 5:13 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

Good morning, and welcome. These forums are an awesome place for support, encouragement and correction when needed.  I'm in Ontario and I will be having RNY - hopefully by February of next year - if not sooner.  We have government health care and the RNY is 100% covered, but the process can take anywhere from 9 months to 18 months.  It is possible to have VSG but only if there is a medical reason to do so. I originally thought that I wanted VSG but I'm quite happy now to be having RNY.

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/16 1:10 pm - Charlotte, NC

Good afternoon daizymom! I'm actually leaning towards the RNY myself. I'm in pre-nursing at the moment, but I start clinicals in the spring. Hopefully, I'll be further in the process before that time comes because I won't have any downtime then.

chassibi
on 8/12/16 5:30 am

Welcome! There are good reasons for either surgery, good luck with whichever one you choose.

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

pammieanne
on 8/12/16 5:36 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Welcome! I had RNY almost 12 weeks ago. I'm doing well, and still adjusting to how much I can eat, and trying to get this 'chewing' thing down! LOL

I've lost 60lbs, and I couldn't be happier (well I could, but I'm very pleased with how it's gone so far!)

I think there are good cases for either surgery, and depending on your own personal situation, one may or may not be better for you. Obviously your doctor will have opinions and facts for you to mull over as you decide. There are two things that stand out in making a decision, and that would be Diabetes and Reflux. But being a nurse, and having done your own research, I'm sure you already know that.

What kind of meal planning are you doing? We have a great menu post daily here, and after reading back on some of those, I think you'll get a good idea of what people around here eat. I'm still in a pretty simple stage, so I don't get too fancy at this point, but I do love to cook, and I'm hoping to jump back on that bandwagon soon!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/16 1:18 pm - Charlotte, NC

Congratulations pammieanne! I'm glad everything is moving smoothly for you. I think I'm leaning towards RNY though because with the sleeve you can eat little, but you absorb every single calorie. Oh yes, I love to meal prep! I love to experiment in the kitchen with veggies and meats, baked ofcourse.