Anyone with reactive Hypoglycemia, how do you handle it?

sunshinespring
on 8/11/16 4:24 pm - Bay Area, CA

please help, it was just diagnosed and I am having a difficult time with meal planning; vitamins and such

I will appreciate the help

Grim_Traveller
on 8/11/16 5:48 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Vitamins don't have anything to do with reactive hypoglycemia.

RH is all about eating too many simple carbs. Things like bread, pasta, sugar, potatoes, make your blood sugar spike, high, pretty quickly. Your body pushes out excess insulin, and your blood sugar crashes. If you eat some more simple carbs to raise your blood sugar, the whole process just starts over again.

The only way to keep RH away is to avoid simple carbs. Debse protein, with some fats, and maybe some complex carbs from veggies -- not fruit. This is ALSO the same diet to lose weight and keep it off.

Take your vitaminsxand calcium the same way you always were supposed to.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

sunshinespring
on 8/11/16 5:57 pm - Bay Area, CA

Thank you for the response, this helps a lot in terms of what not to eat I have been doing it all wrong, and I feel terrible, my symptoms are so bad and I feel like I am drying but I need to learn how to eat and this gives me a good start.

Willie H.
on 8/11/16 7:27 pm
VSG on 08/26/14

At first I did not know what was happening to me! I would go into Walmart or play golf and become completely disoriented and shaky! One time I ate a bagel in the morning and 3 hours later I was jittery, sweating and confused. Sometimes at the gym I would become very weak and had to suck on candy. Like Grimm said it was all simple carbs! It raises your blood sugar VERY high and then it drops and you need carbs again to get back to normal!? Overheating, expending energy too fast also will bring it on.

Sugar, bread, fructose, cereal, wrong fruits, potatoes, pastries, candy, etc, gets me disoriented. Even pizza with the wrong kind of dough! Though I was gluten intolerant-probably am. At first I would take glucose tabs but then I learned to eat less carbs. For breakfast I might have a boiled egg and/or turkey bacon. I can have whole grain oatmeal with a few raisins but I prefer peanuts or peanut butter in it. I'm starting to love Italian omelets (mozzarella, sausage, onions, mushrooms and tomatoes)

Basically you have to stick to a low carb diet which not only regulates your blood sugar but helps with weight loss. Nuts are my go to snack as well as cheese. I also have to have water first thing in the morning before I have coffee. Coffee seems to affect my blood sugar also. Meats, eggs, nuts, beans, cheese and fat are my staples, with a green salad from time to time with Blue Cheese, Oil and Vinegar or Ranch dressing-and it prevents me from getting hungry. If I do have carbs it is brown rice, oatmeal or whole grain bread, stay away from high-glycemic fruits, berries are the best fruit to eat for me. Fats do not scare me-simple carbs do! The Meat Fast helps me get back on track if I find myself eating like before-it's very helpful! Until you get use to it and know how to manage it-hypoglycemia is no joke!!!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

sunshinespring
on 8/11/16 8:50 pm - Bay Area, CA

OMG thank you so much for this list, I appreciate it so much I am on a rollercoaster of emotions I always blamed my symptoms to dumping syndrome but I started noticing that this was way more I became disoriented ALL the time and I taught I was dying,

this simply tells me I am not and I am not alone and there is hope, thank you I screen shot this on my phone to keep me away from bad carbs and while I learn Ill keep it handy