Lost in Emotions

Smikk2009
on 8/10/16 2:43 pm
VSG on 06/09/16

Hello, I am new to the group and out for support I had the gastric sleeve done 10 weeks ago last, and have had depression prior to surgery...this past week I have been so full of anxiety and depressed that I am in a hole so far I am not sure if I will get out. I seen my dr today to get me something more to help with the anxiety and continue the depression med that I am on. Is this common will it pass and when. I am a medical receptionist they told me to take this week off to get my grip together and be happy to take care of myself. I am to the point that my anxiety was soo high that when it came night time and morning that all I want to do it quit my job and not see anyone and stay home and farm with my husband. Any help or support would be great to read upon.

~Signe

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 8/10/16 3:38 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Very, very common.  It's called "hormone dumping."  Our bodies are releasing massive amounts of hormones immediately after surgery as we lose substantial amounts of weight.  It will subside over time.  You are not alone.   Many of us have been through this.

Just know that it's a chemical reaction and this too will pass.  Focus on eating right, getting enough fluids and looking forward to better health  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Kelly L.
on 8/10/16 4:11 pm

I know it's difficult, and I am glad you went to see your dr to get something for the anxiety.   Did he adjust the depression meds?   Maybe it won't take long for them to take effect and you will have some relief soon.  I'm sorry you are going through this, but hopefully, it's temporary and just the hormone dumping explained to you in the previous post.  Good luck!

LeapSecond
on 8/10/16 4:52 pm - AR

Very common.  Hang in there. Seeking help was the right thing to do.  

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

z_m14
on 8/10/16 6:28 pm
RNY on 07/05/16

I am five weeks out, so I am not as far out as you, but for the first week/week and a half, I felt depressed and had anxiety. My heart rate was actually elevated for a little, and I could not get enough "air." I don't know why this happened, but I concluded that my body was just adjusting to everything that had happened. Your emotions may be out of whack for now, but it does get better. 

dog_hair_dinner
on 8/11/16 5:29 am
RNY on 03/01/16

in addition to exploring medication, you may also want to seek out a therapist/councellor to help you learn some coping skills to help you get through the rough parts without having to suffer so much