General information on VSG surgery questions and answers.

lizzie202
on 8/9/16 10:30 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Liz and I am contemplating on having the VSG surgery. My biggest problems is that I under eat. I am not a fan of red meat,  or pork. I eat chicken, turkey sometimes, and fish. I have read many of your incredible stories about your successful VSG surgeries. I would appreciate any feedback on having the VSG surgery. I congratulate thosewho have had their past, present and future surgeries. For those whose surgery is coming up, I wish you the best.

Thanks for any feedback.

Liz

Lovely_Caprice
on 8/10/16 2:55 am

Your surgeon will decide on the type of surgery that is most appropriate for you.  You don't make that decision.  Good Luck!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 8/10/16 3:14 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Actually a surgeon advises on what surgery is best based on your medical history, but ultimately the choice is that of the patient, not the Dr., after all you have to live with the choice not him.

I don't mean specifically to you, just anyone going for surgery.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Teena D.
on 8/10/16 5:09 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

Unless you live in Ontario- and then you get RNY unless the dr decides there's a reason to justify VSG. I love our health care system, but it does have drawbacks.

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

lizzie202
on 8/23/16 11:13 am

Thank you, God bless! My consult is today!!!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 8/10/16 3:25 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I'd advise you to definitely do your research & look at the different surgeries like the rny, ds & vsg. Also go to bariatric seminars & talk with patients who have had the surgery from new post ops to those years down the road. Keep in mind the post op lifestyle is very protein forward, there are plenty of other protein sources if you're not into meat & pork, although personally I luv them! 

Also if you have any emotional issues with food, you should look into handling that too, either thru therapy or support groups etc. Many people concentrate so much on the physical aspects of the surgery & not really think of the emotional stuff people go thru.

I notice that you said that you under eat. I'm not sure what that means. Usually people who under eat don't need wls, so I'm guessing you meant to rephrase that or elaborate what that means?

I had the vsg & am very happy with my choice. Good luck in your weight loss journey. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

lizzie202
on 8/23/16 11:21 am

Thank you for your reply. I take vitamins in the am, have a small (4oz) of unsweetened applesauce, later have a sald with FF Italian dressing or cabbage with the same dressing sometimes I may have brown rice with chicken and later some fruit. I drink a lot of water which I love. Maybe I'm not getting enough protein and eating too many carbs.I don't eat too much bread. I sometimes have chiken salad with wheat ritz crackers. I've tried Weigh****chers to force myself to eat more food and lost weight, but finds its way back on me. It is so frustrating.I think this surgery will help me. Please keep in touch with me.? Thank you again take care and God bless!! Keep up the great work.

Grim_Traveller
on 8/10/16 5:45 am
RNY on 08/21/12
On August 10, 2016 at 5:30 AM Pacific Time, lizzie202 wrote:

Hello everyone,

My name is Liz and I am contemplating on having the VSG surgery. My biggest problems is that I under eat. I am not a fan of red meat,  or pork. I eat chicken, turkey sometimes, and fish. I have read many of your incredible stories about your successful VSG surgeries. I would appreciate any feedback on having the VSG surgery. I congratulate thosewho have had their past, present and future surgeries. For those whose surgery is coming up, I wish you the best.

Thanks for any feedback.

Liz

I'm not sure what you mean by under eating? We all got here and needed surgery because we over eat.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/10/16 6:24 am
RNY on 12/31/13
On August 10, 2016 at 5:30 AM Pacific Time, lizzie202 wrote:

Hello everyone,

Thanks for any feedback.

Liz

The post surgery eating plan for the VSG or RNY is protein forward and more specifically, dense protein.  This means that meat, not necessarily red meat, is one of your best choices.  You can definitely do fine using chicken, turkey and fish.  

However, if you under-eat, then it's doubtful that you will meet the weight requirements for bariatric surgery, nor would restriction do you any good.  You must be obese to have bariatric surgery and that comes from eating too much, not too little. 

Good luck.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

lizzie202
on 8/23/16 11:09 am

Thank you so very much for you input. I have my appt today with the surgeon. Your information was most helpful. Thanks again, take care and God bless!