Questions to Ask

(deactivated member)
on 8/9/16 3:28 pm

Hey friends! I know I post here a lot, I hope I'm not being too annoying. I just value everyone's opinion! 

Anyway. Tomorrow I finally have my first surgeon consultation. Yay! I want to be really prepared. So here's my question: what are the most important/often forgotten questions to ask your surgeon? 

Thanks in advance!

Starry Eyed
on 8/9/16 5:56 pm
VSG on 04/20/16

What stage of your facility's process are you in (how close are you to scheduling surgery)?  I only ask because this makes a difference in what questions you would ask your surgeon.

If you are still a few months away from having surgery:  Maybe questions about what you can do now to prepare yourself for surgery (diet/exercise, other program/insurance requirements like meeting with a nutritionist, bloodwork, EKG, upper endoscopy, etc).

If you are close to scheduling:  Maybe questions about hospital stay, recovery, when exercise is allowed again, etc.

I would suggest jotting down questions as they come up and reading the OH boards too.  Hope this helps!

High Weight: 307 Start Weight: 297 (11/5/15) Surgery Weight: 278 (4/20/16) Pre-Op: (-19) M1: (-24) M2: (-8) M3: (-10) M4: (-9) M5: (-7) M6: (-6) M7: (-7) M8: (-5) M9: (-4) M10: (-3) M11: (-5) CW: 185

"Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations."

(deactivated member)
on 8/9/16 11:02 pm

Thanks so much! I'm still a ways out. I really appreciate your advice! :)

Lodie
on 8/10/16 8:16 am
VSG on 10/15/14

At my first visit with the surgeon I asked how many of this type of surgery had he done? I personally wanted at least 1000 to be done before me. What % of his surgeries had a leak? What size bougie did he prefer and why? I'm a nurse, so I asked him if he used the type of staples that had the extra material that was supposed to help prevent leaks. He did not, but gave me the reason he didn't , I was fine with that. I had a long list, I expected him to take the time to answer. I guess if he had not done that I would have continued to search. In hind sight I wish I had thought to ask how involved in long term aftercare he would be? His program was to cut and follow up with labs and that is pretty much it. I had my husband who had the same surgery for support who is also a nurse and this site or I might have felt sort of left out there on my own. Best of luck as you move forward!

HW=263  SW=253 CW=160 GW=140

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 8/10/16 3:42 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Ask how many surgeries he/she has performed for each type (RNY, VSG, DS).  Ask if there have been any deaths from surgical complications.  

If you're considering a VSG, ask if he's had any patients with leaks.

Ask what surgery he/she recommends for you, and why.

Ask what tests he/she will require you to have before they will approve surgery.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220