Muscle Atrophy

Lisa F.
on 8/9/16 9:17 am
VSG on 06/06/16

Hi all -

I'm almost 3 months post op and just starting to get back to a daily exercise routine. Even though I've lost over 40 lbs I notice more joint pain...swelling in my knees, feeling slight pain in my hip joint. I would expect this to be the opposite!

Curious if others noticed this, and in general if anyone has information on how quickly you lose muscle and gain it back (in general...I know it's different for everyone).

I searched here and didn't find any info on this.

Thanks!

Lisa

VSG DATE 6/6/16 | SW 280 | CW 198 | GW 175 | HEIGHT 5'8 | AGE 55

ORIGINAL GOAL WEIGHT OF 175 MET: 12/6/17 (18 MONTHS POST OP)

NEW GOAL: LOSE 20 LB RE-GAIN

White Dove
on 8/9/16 9:21 am - Warren, OH

What you are describing are arthritis symptoms not weight loss surgery symptoms.  See your doctor.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 8/9/16 11:08 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

About 20-25% of the weight you lose is muscle mass.  You do not 'get it back' - you rebuild it with weight training.  

My knees did not feel worse after WLS, but they did not feel better until I lost over 100 pounds.  They really started to feel better when I went from 165 to 145.  They realy did not real better from 265 to 166, but the knees did not feel worse.

Sharon

Lisa F.
on 8/9/16 11:17 am
VSG on 06/06/16

Thanks Sharon... was very helpful. :)

VSG DATE 6/6/16 | SW 280 | CW 198 | GW 175 | HEIGHT 5'8 | AGE 55

ORIGINAL GOAL WEIGHT OF 175 MET: 12/6/17 (18 MONTHS POST OP)

NEW GOAL: LOSE 20 LB RE-GAIN

RNY on 12/22/14

Your body could have a delayed reaction and just mow getting rid of the anesthesia - although that is usually done by 3 months (It took me about a year - but at 57 1/2 - I was almost, I almost cannot write the word - perish the thought, geriatric, which starts at 60 yrs old.  1/3 of geriatric surgical patients have a delayed recovery from anesthesia.)

Sharon

(deactivated member)
on 8/10/16 11:37 am

Sharon is the best. My first friend.

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 8/9/16 12:26 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

I had surgery just before you but am inclined to agree with Shannon above.

Need to rebuild muscle that your body consumed.

Something I've thought of, too, is that our fat used to support our bodies in certain ways. For example the fat under my arm pit on the side of my chest. Its gotten less, so now my arms hang down in a different way, closer to the body. For me, I have been doing a lot of rehab on my shoulder because I had surgery 4 years ago for a bonespur (and already do rehab every workout), but now even more. I could feel my arm tugging on my shoulder a different way than it used to since I've lost weight.

Our bodies need to be strengthened in ways based on fat loss and muscle cannibalization. I've learned that in simply 3 months post op

Anyone who tells you otherwise, well, I guess doesnt care or is oblivious to what their body is telling them :P 

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

RNY on 12/22/14

It's very odd that you had a bone spur that didn;t need repair until after you lost the weight.  The same thing with me - it had been bothering me from after I lost about 50 pounds, and I was in phys therapy after I lost 70, and then I injured it near New Years and had surgery in March 2016 to remove the bone spur.  I weight lifted, but I guess the forces pulled differently on the joint. That was my left shoulder, the right one still seems OK - knock on wood.

Yes, I am more vertical and my arms hang straight done versus bowed out and rest on my previous saddlebag thighs.  Still, I would not trade my more vertical body for those saddlebag thighs.

Sharon

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 8/9/16 3:17 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Sorry I may have made seen out of order. I had surgery for it about 4 years ago, surgery for me was two months ago :)

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

RNY on 12/22/14

No prob.  But I agree in general. body mechanics are different - and for the most part - MUCH BETTER.

Sharon