Hysterectomy/VSG same surgery

AryaofWinterfell
on 8/8/16 2:18 pm

Hi all, 

Finally approved for VSG.  Issues have come up and I was advised I needed a hysterectomy.  Was told they could be done at the same time.  Anyone have simultaneous surgeries with the sleeve?

Thanks,

A

RNY on 12/22/14

I had hiatal hernia repair and RYN at the same - my surgeon operates with a second fully qualified surgeon - so both were done in less than 2-1/2 hours of anesthesia(normal is 3 1/2 hours).  VSG it is a much shorter operation - only 30-60 min vs 3 hr for RNY, so I would ask how long would your total exposure to anesthesia be - a prime risk of combining surgeries.  Get an answer from your surgeon to be sure, but I think it will be under 60-90 min total.  Getting them done at once sounds reasonable, but a real second opinion (my training is in mechanical engineering) from a real doctor may make you feel more comfortable with the approach, as long as both can be done laparospocially - I would not want an open surgery if I could avoid it.

Sharon

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/8/16 4:25 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

There are quite a few people who have hernias repaired during their WLS, though I imagine that's simpler since the surgeon can work through the same incisions.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

PS0705
on 8/8/16 5:50 pm
VSG on 08/04/16

First off - sorry you are having to undergo both of these procedures at all but thankful there are options.

Maybe the extra energy you get from your WLS will counteract the decreased energy from the hysterectomy.  It may turn out be a great combination and minimize the hysterectomy.

Best wishes for a speedy surgery and healthy recovery.

P

PS0705
on 8/8/16 5:52 pm
VSG on 08/04/16
GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 8/8/16 6:01 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I had my ovaries removed at the same time as my VSG.  My bariatric surgeon did the sleeve, then my OB-GYN came into the room and did the oophorectomy.  No problemos.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

seattledeb
on 8/9/16 4:15 am

Oophorectomy is one of my favorite words.

namedafteru
on 8/9/16 6:59 am

HI,  I had a hysterectomy with right oophorectomy  in August of last year and I had my RNY at the end of June.  The hysterectomy was harder to recover from in my opinion.  The post surgical instructions of drink lots of water and walk as much as you can were the same for both.  Looking back if I had the choice to have them both at the same time, I would.  Took six months after hysterectomy to feel normal.  The one thing to note is after a hysterectomy there is a great deal of swelling that takes a while to go away.  Anytime I overdid it, my belly would swell quite a bit, so try not to get frustrated by that.  There is a great site (much like OH) for hysterectomy patients that I found helpful.  Hystersisters.com.  If you have any other questions, I am always happy to help.