Got the blahs!

Tdheason
on 8/6/16 4:29 pm
RNY on 06/27/16

ok, lately I feel like I have been just full of complaints. I'm 6 weeks out of ryn and I just always feel like crap. I do suffer from depression and I live alone so thats enough to make anyone sad right there.  Food was my best friend and now that is gone. I eat now because I have to. I'm not hungry by no means but is is hard to eat when you are not hungry. Nothing is good to drink but milk. Every time I eat or drink I just feel yuck. Is this normal? Do you think it's more sadness than the surgery and food making me like this. I will admit that I really miss the relationship I had with food but I had to do this surgery for my health.  I'm grateful for the surgery and feel like I will really be glad I did this in a few months but right now I just don't know.  Well, thanks for reading my sad sob story today. I appreciate all of you and the support I find here.

I'm only human. Oh, I lost my mom last year and it just about killed me. I miss her so much. Everyone, give your mom a hug today. I would give anything to hug her right now, I love her so much.

alouisa63
on 8/6/16 4:33 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

TimeToHealRich2016
on 8/6/16 8:19 pm - CA
VSG on 07/11/16

Please accept a big hug and my support during a bummer DAY and maybe a bummer MONTH.  You are raising the right feelings, albeit all at once, which is not the best way.  Since you are recovering from loss of family, that is most important in your life to get past.  The TEMPORARY loss of your friend, Food, is just that....TEMPORARY.  From the year of posts I have read and some support group contacts I have made, everyone (almost everyone) says they wouldn't have missed this chance to get healthy for the world.  Having lost 2 siblings to obesity and diabetes, sister 1t 58 and brother at 70, I m riding the pleasure train that I took the high-risk surgery and so far have been handling it.

Chin up, stick with your plan and know that it is OK to be sad....just don't let it consume your whole month. 

Now, get out tomorrow to a mall and see a bunch of people doing normal things that you will be doing soon. 

Paying It Forward Rich

HW: 447 SW: 415 GW: 240 CW: 339 Total WL = 110

WL: Pre-op: -32 M1: -27 M2: -19 M3: -14 M4: -9 M5 & M6: -9 in progress

Tdheason
on 8/7/16 6:32 am
RNY on 06/27/16

Thanks so much for the support.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/6/16 8:39 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

You may find it helpful to speak with a therapist or counselor, especially with a pre-existing diagnosis of depression. Lots of people here have found it helpful to talk to someone about their emotions during the WLS process.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

JaxLiving
on 8/6/16 9:54 pm - Spanish Fort, AL
RNY on 05/27/16

Hugs to you! Be strong and keep up the good work! It's hard to give up the love affair we all had with food!!!

SW:223, CW: 134.2; GW: 125, RNY: 5/27/16

LeapSecond
on 8/7/16 4:32 am - AR

I fight depression too.  Remember that some surgeons use steroids during surgery and the effects can lasts months.  Also the hormones stores in our fat cells are dumping that back into our bloodstream as long as you are losing weight.  It is normal for mood to be lower than baseline after WLS.  BUT you don't have to take it.  Call your doc and tell him you want/need something.  If you are already taking something it may need to be increased for a few months.  Talk therapy helps for mood and grief too.  

Finding something to replace your friendship with food is key.  I made my first piece of jewelry yesterday.  I don't know if it is my new friend but I wasn't eating.  There are lots of hobbies that can, if nothing else, break your friendship with food.  

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

Tdheason
on 8/7/16 6:34 am
RNY on 06/27/16

I like to scrapbook, need to get back into that. Thanks

sheriberi29
on 8/7/16 7:16 am - Cleveland, TN

I battle depression as well and had to speak with my dr about my extended release medication not really feeling like it was helping anymore as I could feel myself sinking lower and lower and thankfully realizing this wasn't quite right, although everything you are feeling is normal after surgery , it may be worth talking to the dr about medication and making sure it's still absorbing the way it needs to ! I can not imagine the pain and loss of losing mom... I pray God gives you strength in every moment to rise above your grief and struggle ! 

Banded 6/9/09 HW 242 LW 142 Revision 198 m 1 loss 16 lbs 182. M 2 loss 4 lbs 178. M3 loss 6 lbs 174.m4 loss 4 lbs 168. M5 gain 2 lbs 170. M6 loss 7 lbs 163 M7 loss 5 lbs 159 M8 loss 1 lb 158 M9 loss 0 M10 155 loss 3 M11 154 loss 1 M12 loss 2 152 M13 loss 3 149 M16, 17 0 loss M 18 loss 4 lbs 145 (18 months 53 lbs)

Kelly L.
on 8/7/16 9:41 am

I'm sorry you are dealing with depression, I have it too so I can understand.   It could be the hormone dumping or you may just need your meds adjusted.   Talk to your dr.   I like what others say about finding hobbies to take your mind off missing food.   I didn't want to skip over your post, just didn't want you to think you are alone in this.   I hope things get better for you soon!!