Pictures and shame

Boxerlover3452
on 8/6/16 7:00 am
RNY on 06/06/16

Recently a few friends and myself went on a day trip and had a wonderful time.  My one friend posted pictures on FB of our excursion and I wanted to die.  I'm 8 weeks post op today and as of last Monday lost 38 lbs. but I still look horrible and I'm so ashamed for people to see these pictures.  I'm so embarrassed and humiliated.  I feel like crap today and am so depressed about it.  Thanks for letting me express my feelings.

JaxLiving
on 8/6/16 7:24 am - Spanish Fort, AL
RNY on 05/27/16

Just keep up the good work! This journey is more about your health than your looks. Be proud and confident with what you have already achieved! 

SW:223, CW: 134.2; GW: 125, RNY: 5/27/16

Boxerlover3452
on 8/6/16 7:51 am
RNY on 06/06/16

Thank you.  Deep down I know this.  I'm trying. 

White Dove
on 8/6/16 7:41 am - Warren, OH

This can just be before pictures.  A year from now you can look back at them and see all the progress you made.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Boxerlover3452
on 8/6/16 8:00 am
RNY on 06/06/16

Yes, great idea.  thank you.

hollykim
on 8/6/16 7:47 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 6, 2016 at 2:00 PM Pacific Time, Boxerlover3452 wrote:

Recently a few friends and myself went on a day trip and had a wonderful time.  My one friend posted pictures on FB of our excursion and I wanted to die.  I'm 8 weeks post op today and as of last Monday lost 38 lbs. but I still look horrible and I'm so ashamed for people to see these pictures.  I'm so embarrassed and humiliated.  I feel like crap today and am so depressed about it.  Thanks for letting me express my feelings.

this is hard. At 6 yrs out, I still see post op pics and want to bash myself. 

I tell myself that was then , and that part of my life is ok, too, but remin

d myself that I NEVER want to go back there. 

Yeah, I looked horrible then and, like you, still feel some shame, but I quickly tell myself that it doesn't matter. What does matter is that I took very important steps to change that. Ten I celebrate the CHANGE!

Boxerlover3452
on 8/6/16 7:58 am
RNY on 06/06/16

thank you.   :)

Boxerlover3452
on 8/6/16 8:02 am
RNY on 06/06/16

By the way, I double posted this on both the General forum and RNY forum

RNY on 12/22/14

It is a good thing that you recognize how you feel - but, in another 6-10,months when your weight is approaching a normal BMI - will you feel this way about your still-heavy friends - probably not.  SO you may need to cut yourself some slack and be reasonable.  Time will help you heal your embarrassment and come to put a healthier perspective on your former appearance.  Since this is an issue for you, you might want to take a few pictures of you each month to help you process all the changes you will be going through.  

At 133#/9% body fat now, I keep a picture of myself at 284 taped on the back of my phone.  I can look at it without shame and with appreciation of the changes I have made- a cousin who has since passed in the the photo with me.  I show it to people at my WLS Support Group so they know I am on the same journey as them, and not some skinny woman sitting in the corner who never worried about her weight.  At 19 months post, op, that is my perspective on my former physical apperance.  You will come to feel your own sense of peace with your former body.

Sharon

Boxerlover3452
on 8/6/16 9:49 am
RNY on 06/06/16

Thank you Sharon.  I like the idea of putting the picture on the back of my phone so I'll always have it as a reference.