Newbies: Before you message someone

peachpie
on 8/5/16 10:14 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

this is a forum with a wealth of  information if the search option is used. I can guaruntee anything and everything you are wondering can be found if you searched it. I get wanting to connect with an individual--but it gets really tiring when you've been around a while, and are messaged by someone new- for advice, insight or guidance, whatever and we take the time to respond- with the best knowledge we have to offer; then they disappear. Poof- gone. No response, thank you, or even better-- continuous contributions to the boards. 

so before you message someone- please read what's here. Dip your toes in and get your feet wet. Upload an avatar; I'll more easily respond to someone who at least taken the time to put a 'face' with a name. If this site becomes all take and no give... It wouldn't be a useful resource for this considering or that have had surgery. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Kathy S.
on 8/5/16 10:18 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Here is how to use the search option.  The search icon is just to the left of MY OH.  Put your cursor on the search icon and type in the search topic. Keep it simple like RNY vs VSG, Dr. John Smith.  This is a great way to read previous subjects posted.

Search Icon

If you need help searching let us know at [email protected]

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 8/5/16 10:50 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

I havent really liked the search feature

Every time I try, I'm left disappointed

I just went back and tried again before posting and see theres an Advanced option which will allow me to sort by relevance or date, which is good. Havent noticed that in the past. When I've tried searching I end up with results from 3 years ago, yesterday, 5 years ago, 7 years ago, etc

I wish could sort by user post, thread information versus subject line, etc like most typical forums

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

(deactivated member)
on 8/5/16 11:31 am, edited 8/5/16 4:33 am - CA

Most forums do not have the longevity of OH and this is why you get results from previous years  and is probably why sorting is an issue.    I can attest to many posts where people asked questions and had responses about insurance acceptance, types of protein drinks that are vegan, gadgets that make your WLS journey easier, that were from years ago, but someone THIS year found it helpful.   Should we limit that info to only the current posts?  IMO no, because those are things that are always helpful and should always be available for review.   We have seen many people come and go from OH through the years, but their posts do remain and most of it, will eventually help someone!     

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/5/16 11:41 am
RNY on 08/05/19

There's a neat workaround for that!

Go to Google, and include "site:obesityhelp.com" at the end of your search terms. The limits the results to everything posted on this site. So you might type something like

water after meals site:obesityhelp.com

Then click on "search tools" underneath the search bar, and it will let you select a timeframe-- "past year" works really well.

Behold!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Ashley in Belgium
on 8/5/16 11:51 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

You so totally rock Julie!!  This is such helpful information - I didn't know this trick.  

I remember when I came back to OH 4 or 5 years ago looking for info about revision options, understanding the surgery types, issues etc.  And I was so freaking grateful to have such a vast and varied about of threads to weed through.  We all must be our own sponge - take it all in and filter out what doesn't make sense or apply to our personal situation.  

But I can't count how many times I reply to a PM with thoughtful info and get no response or the person just vanishes once they get what they think they need.  

Thanks for being such a helful Hag Julie!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Theduffman27
on 8/5/16 12:13 pm
VSG on 11/19/14

Thanks for sharing, can be a useful search tool for any application! Thanks!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/5/16 12:56 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Google has LOTS of useful shortcuts that don't get a lot of publicity, and they even have an "advanced search" page that lets you specify things with a bunch of filters if you don't want to type them in your query. Limit by language, "safe" (no nudity, etc.), last time the page was updated, etc.

A few other shortcuts that I find really helpful:

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Grim_Traveller
on 8/5/16 1:16 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Wow! This even works on my 56k modem!

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Steph Meat Hag
on 8/5/16 5:22 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Smart People!!! You Live!!! I thought it was all madness.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com