Insurance Approved The Surgery But PCP Refuses, what now?!

Jessicar4bbit
on 8/5/16 4:42 am, edited 8/9/16 7:17 am
RNY on 09/07/16

UPDATE: I requested my medical records be sent to my new PCP who has reviewed it and is on board. Thanks for all of your help everybody!

chassibi
on 8/5/16 6:57 am

Slow down. Your A1C is not going to go from 6.2 to 15 unless you abuse yourself with donuts and poptarts 6 meals a day.

I completely understand you are frustrated. Waiting is SO frustrating for me! Talk to your PCP about everything you have already done to lose weight. He may still want you to do a medically supervised diet. That's ok! Most insurances do this for 3-6 months. If you have to do it, just follow the plan. It will help you for when you do have surgery.

I felt pretty disgusted when after my 3 month medically supervised diet, my surgeon's office couldn't get OR time. I was ready to have surgery in March, but didn't get in until May 2. Initially they told me it would be July. BUT--I spent the months from November to May getting my head ready. I came here everyday and posted my menu on the menu thread. I put everything I put in my mouth into MFP. I ate under 1200 calories most days, with low carbs. I worked on drinking water and moving my body. So when surgery happened, it wasn't a huge hit. I KNOW without a doubt that those months (which were, incidentally, 6 months) got me ready.

I lost 35 pounds prior to surgery and have lost 77 pounds total so far.

This is a journey, if the 6 months to wait is a part of your journey, what is 6 months in a lifetime?

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

Jessicar4bbit
on 8/5/16 8:22 am
RNY on 09/07/16
Valerie G.
on 8/5/16 11:41 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

By all means, get another PCP.  This is ridiculous!  On your way out, get a copy of your medical records, at least for the last year you were going through such agony, so you can show a new PCP what all you've subjected yourself through before reaching the point of surgery.  Not all are so sadistic.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Lodie
on 8/5/16 6:59 am
VSG on 10/15/14

I can see how frustrated you are and obviously feeling hopeless at this point. Now is not the time to give up or give in. If you have qualified through your insurance you have met the medical requirements. There is usually "more than one way to skin a cat" as we say in the south! I have worked in the medical field for many years . Sometimes you just need to know how to approach the doctor to get them to hear what you are saying. You can always change providers. I would try this first. Put your request on paper in the form of a letter to the physician. It is important to compose it in an organized format. Leave out the emotional standpoint unless at the end when you summarize you can add that you feel this has been detrimental from a mental health standpoint and has added to your comorbities due to depression and anxiety regarding the current status of your health. List the steps in a 1. 2. 3. from your biggest issues to your least. Example Hypertension, started, medication tried, result, you are basically putting on one page your reason for asking for WLS. Then add your summary at the end. He will have to reply and it will be on record. Then make an appointment specifically to discuss this letter with him.  It is sad that the patient needs to "speak in doctor format" but I can almost promise you it will help him hear what your are trying to say. Feel free to contact me if you think I can help.

HW=263  SW=253 CW=160 GW=140

Jessicar4bbit
on 8/5/16 8:23 am
RNY on 09/07/16
pammieanne
on 8/5/16 7:00 am, edited 8/5/16 12:00 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Wow, I am So Sorry you are going through this!

It would seem to me that your new PCP could read your records and approve this... and if he won't, do you have the option of changing PCP's? Can you get in touch with your old PCP and see if he can help? Remind your PCP that he technically works for you, go over your records with him/her, and be steadfast in your decision that this is what YOU want to do, for YOUR health. Ask him why he thinks waiting another 6 months would be a good idea.

In the meantime, back away from the Krispy Kremes! LOL Hug your son, and concentrate on what you know you need to do in order to be there for your son and family 

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Jessicar4bbit
on 8/5/16 8:24 am
RNY on 09/07/16
White Dove
on 8/5/16 7:01 am - Warren, OH

At 25, you are very young to be having weight loss surgery.  Perhaps it seems like the magic solution to your weight problem.  It is not.  Weight loss surgery requires a dedication to proper diet and exercise.  You will need to take vitamins, never take NSAIDS, stop eating carbs, count calories, take protein supplements, weight yourself and take total responsibility for your weight loss.

What your PCP wants you to do is learn how to eat properly to lose weight without surgery.  When you are able to prove that you can do that, then the surgery can be added as an additional tool.

Surgery is not going to fix your eating and exercise problems.  Start now with following a high protein, low carb diet and getting regular exercise.  Get a food scale and weigh every thing that goes into your mouth.  Track every bite and sip with My Fitness Pal.  Ask the PCP for help with weight loss that does not require you to be on drugs.  If you don't understand exploring every avenue first, then ask the PCP to explain that to you. 

Ask for regular appointments with the PCP to help track your progress.  The former PCP was a pill pusher who did not chose to take the time to work with you on solving your weight problems.  You are lucky to have a new PCP that understands that obesity is not a disease that can be cured with pills or with surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Jessicar4bbit
on 8/5/16 8:34 am
RNY on 09/07/16