Anyone have homemade jerky recipes.

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/16 11:25 am - CA

I finally bit the bullet and bought a dehydrator.   I love beef jerky, but don't eat it a lot, since it is so high in sodium.  I would love to hear of any recipes that you would want to share, since I will now start making my own jerky! 

Thanks, 

~Nik

Kathy S.
on 8/3/16 11:35 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I want samples please!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/16 12:47 pm - CA

You may want to hold that request until we know how good it is, Kathy!    

Kathy S.
on 8/3/16 1:24 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/3/16 12:50 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I make a large batch of jerky once a week. I eat it occasionally, but my husband has it as a snack pretty much every night! I've got a foolproof recipe now :)

Julie's Spicy Jerky

• Start with a London broil, they're usually around 2lb. I wait for them to go on sale at Safeway for $2.99/lb and pick up a couple.
  • Trim the fat from the edges. Slice the meat into 1/4" strips (about as wide as your knife blade), going against the grain at an angle.

• Stick the sliced meat into a gallon-size plastic zipper bag. Set the plastic bag in a mixing bowl (in case of leaks).
  • Add your seasonings to the bag. I use:
    • 1/2 bottle Montreal steak seasoning mix
    • 1/2 large bottle Louisiana hot sauce
    • 1 small bottle Yucatan sunshine habanero sauce
  • Zip the bag, pushing as much air out as you can. Shake it up so that the meat gets totally coated in spicy goodness.
  • Leave it in the fridge to marinate at least overnight.
  • The next day, spread the jerky pieces in the dehydrator, making sure the meat is flat and the pieces don't touch.
  • Run the dehydrator at the highest temperature for 8 - 10 hours, depending on how crispy you like it.

You can play with the sauce all you like, but I've found that a seasoning mix plus two sauces works really well, plus you can add some Worcestershire sauce if you want to tone it down a bit. A few other combinations I like:

• Sriracha, ginger-chili paste, and soy sauce
  • Jalapeno sauce (green Tabasco or the yellow bottle with the duck on the label, can't remember the name) + red Mexican hot sauce like Tapatillo or Cholula
  • Cayenne hot sauce and Jamaican hot sauce (something with citrus in it, I like Peri-Peri)
  • I haven't had a ton of luck with teriyaki yet, but best I've found is worcestershire, soy sauce, bottled Teriyaki sauce, and maybe a little bit of lemon; anything else comes out too sweet. Skip the seasoning mix and go for just salt, black pepper, and garlic.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/16 1:03 pm - CA

Awesome, Julie!   Thank you very much.  I will let you know how it comes out.  

~Nik

on 8/3/16 1:06 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I'd love to hear how yours turns out! I'll warn you, it's pretty darn spicy, so don't be afraid to scale back on the seasoning ;)

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/16 1:26 pm - CA

I will have to scale it back, but I know my boyfriend will love it.  He loves spicy things and this sounds right up his alley!   I will definitely let you know how it goes.   Have you ran the numbers on your recipe to see what the macros are at all?   

on 8/3/16 1:49 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

2oz of meat (uncooked weight) with sauce and seasoning is 120 calories, 15g protein, 0 carbs. :)

Neesie57
on 8/3/16 1:19 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

This is the recipe my husband and I use, and the jersey is great.  I add garlic to taste to the marinade, and I also add Sriracha powder to make it spicier.  The recipe has less than one carb per ounce and has about 50 calories an ounce.  

https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=197 7251

After I finish dehydrating it, I weigh out 1 ounce portions and seal them in baggies, so we can go to a drawer and grab one for a snack, always knowing how much we are getting.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!