Please stop eating crap right after surgery!

Boxerlover3452
on 8/4/16 6:55 am
RNY on 06/06/16

OH YUCK!

crystal M.
on 8/3/16 1:30 pm - Joliet, IL

For me I am afraid I will revert back to my old habits.  So there are still some things I won't go near, because I feel that I won't be able to control myself.  I am over seven years out.  Maybe I am underestimating my will power and I could enjoy some foods like a normal person and say no after a normal serving or not want to eat it every day.  But the way I see it...why chance it.  So it amazes me that a person would revert back so soon or not even try to change. 

My name is Crystal and I am a food addict. 

Kathy S.
on 8/3/16 2:59 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

You  hit the nail on the head. That was my FEAR also!  

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Ladytazz
on 8/3/16 1:33 pm

Unfortunately you could have been writing this to me in 2002.  I honestly did not have a clue.  And my surgeon gave me zero post op eating instructions other then "no cheeseburgers".  Really, that was it.

Add to that I was supposedly given a miracle WLS that would let me eat what I wanted without problems (really some people believed that about the DS in 2002) and the support group I was involved with at the time apparently believed this to be the case and talked all the time about the crap they could eat, we went out to eat regularly and I saw what all these old timers (1 or 2 years out) were eating, potlucks were full of rich, fatty desserts, posts were about recipes like Krispy Kreme bread pudding, stalls were broken by eating a Krispy Kreme glaze donut, peanut M&M's were advised because of the protein, you can see where I got my ideas.

Of course it caught up with us and many had revisions to smaller sleeves or shorter common channels because of course that is the reason they gained weight, not the actual way we were eating.

It didn't help that some could maintain their weight eating that way but the vast majority had regains and big regains.  Not to mention all the other fun side effects of eating so much junk.  We really didn't have a clue.  It was just wishful thinking that our obesity problem was solved with no sacrifice on our part.  If only.

Fortunately things changed by 2010 and when I left the hospital I had a book of post op instructions, including specific eating plans.  And I followed those to the letter.  Because I knew what happened when I ate what I thought I should be able to eat.

So, don't go so hard on those who post those things.  They really may not know better.  They may be following bad advice, poor pre and post op education or just wishful thinking.  And at least they are here where they can be educated to a more appropriate way to eat for the surgery to work for them.  All we can do is advice but it is up to the individual whether or not they are teachable.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

PapaJack
on 8/3/16 1:53 pm - VA
On August 3, 2016 at 8:33 PM Pacific Time, Ladytazz wrote:

Unfortunately you could have been writing this to me in 2002.  I honestly did not have a clue.  And my surgeon gave me zero post op eating instructions other then "no cheeseburgers".  Really, that was it.

Add to that I was supposedly given a miracle WLS that would let me eat what I wanted without problems (really some people believed that about the DS in 2002) and the support group I was involved with at the time apparently believed this to be the case and talked all the time about the crap they could eat, we went out to eat regularly and I saw what all these old timers (1 or 2 years out) were eating, potlucks were full of rich, fatty desserts, posts were about recipes like Krispy Kreme bread pudding, stalls were broken by eating a Krispy Kreme glaze donut, peanut M&M's were advised because of the protein, you can see where I got my ideas.

Of course it caught up with us and many had revisions to smaller sleeves or shorter common channels because of course that is the reason they gained weight, not the actual way we were eating.

It didn't help that some could maintain their weight eating that way but the vast majority had regains and big regains.  Not to mention all the other fun side effects of eating so much junk.  We really didn't have a clue.  It was just wishful thinking that our obesity problem was solved with no sacrifice on our part.  If only.

Fortunately things changed by 2010 and when I left the hospital I had a book of post op instructions, including specific eating plans.  And I followed those to the letter.  Because I knew what happened when I ate what I thought I should be able to eat.

So, don't go so hard on those who post those things.  They really may not know better.  They may be following bad advice, poor pre and post op education or just wishful thinking.  And at least they are here where they can be educated to a more appropriate way to eat for the surgery to work for them.  All we can do is advice but it is up to the individual whether or not they are teachable.

Wow very well said.  Thanks!

Sleeved July 26 2011
Dr. Clark Newport News VA
Married 40 years
2 Kids, 2 Grandkids
1 old dog        

Kathy S.
on 8/3/16 3:05 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Thank you for your gutsy post!  I am so glad you are healthy now and doing what you need to.  I remember seeing those posts from the DS'ers and thinking damn!  LOL   

Lovely_Caprice
on 8/3/16 2:22 pm

I recently saw a women on here posting that she had just been post-op and decided to treat herself with one of those sweet coffees from Starbucks and was complaining how awful she felt.  OMG I have no sympathies for dummies. 

Kathy S.
on 8/4/16 8:02 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Steph Meat Hag
on 8/3/16 3:35 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Thank you for writing this.  My sister and I had our WLSs two weeks apart.  I was in machine mode and read my info and staid on OH like a hawk.  She on the otherhand had not faced food issues at all and read very little.  I kid you not but 3 days from returning home from the hospital after RNY she'd sent my mother to TACO BELL for a beef burrito! She ate it, and 20mins later paid it all back to the toilet gods.

I remembered my calling from the parking lot asking what to do.  She was scared and also mad that for 3 days all my sister had done was yell, raise hell, and demand Taco Bell.  So it wasn't very nice but we decided that a lesson was in order and my mom took her home the request.  My sister is a grown 34yr old woman who was going to just drive up there anyway.  

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Kathy S.
on 8/4/16 8:07 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Putting the food issue aside she is risking popping her stitches/staples.  When you are told to eat in teaspoons that new pouch is not going to hold a beef burrito.  Thankfully she threw it up but the next time she may not be so lucky.  

On the food side, she is not going to keep the weight off. Not everyone keeps throwing up long term. Sounds like she thought the surgery would be a magic bullet where she could continue to eat what she wants and lose weight.  Link her to the Revision forum, but put the fear of god in her about dying.  

Good luck to you and your sister   YOU GOT THIS!