Please stop eating crap right after surgery!

Kathy S.
on 8/3/16 10:50 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I mean this with the best of intentions and caring.  If I see one more person who just had surgery drinking milkshakes, eating candy, or driving through MacD's I am going to CRY OR SCREAM!  Not sure which one will get your attention.  

It's the same behavior that got you where you are and will put her back here looking for a revision!  Not to mention it can be dangerous so soon out to eat stuff that is not on your limited menu.

Please 

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

z_m14
on 8/3/16 10:45 am
RNY on 07/05/16

I read a story somewhere that after this one guy had his RNY, his friends through him a party. He ate a half a pizza and then blew out his pouch and almost died. 

I don't know why people want to do that so soon after surgery. What was the purpose of going through the hoops just to eat half of a pizza right after? 

Kathy S.
on 8/3/16 11:49 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I think it's a combination of not getting the education they need before surgery.  Thinking surgery is an easy way out.  Yes, I typed those words. Not dealing with head issues.  I tell people I speak with "you have to get it right between your ears before re-arranging your plumbing!"

You just went through major surgery to alter your digestive system for life!  Make it work!  Use this gift you are given to get healthy.  My husband didn't have surgery and his weight was a factor in his death.    

Vist a nursing home and count the number of obese people there?  

Don't fear about coming here and admitting you messed up and need help!  That is different!  If you mess up, you are human.  If you come here and say I can't believe I did this, what was a thinking, never again. Then you are showing you realize this was a bad choice. You have our support and we will kick you in the butt, give you a hug and say don't do it again. But when I see posts that mention these items as part of their daily eating I just don't get it. I saw a post where someone said I think I am eating too much sugar from that milk shake?  Sigh....

YOU CAN DO THIS!  Make good choices!  It works!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/3/16 1:11 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Can we put double emphasis on kick you in the butt? I've seen SO many posts where regular/long-time posters will call someone out for eating crap that they shouldn't, only to be harassed because it's "mean" and "that's not what support is."

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Kathy S.
on 8/3/16 1:33 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with
I have used this one a time or two          

Boxerlover3452
on 8/4/16 6:45 am
RNY on 06/06/16

"I don't know why people want to do that so soon after surgery. What was the purpose of going through the hoops just to eat half of a pizza right after? "

So soon after surgery?  Why do it anytime after surgery?  There should be NO TIME to just eat half of a pizza let alone right after surgery.

z_m14
on 8/4/16 10:41 am
RNY on 07/05/16
On August 4, 2016 at 1:45 PM Pacific Time, Boxerlover3452 wrote:

"I don't know why people want to do that so soon after surgery. What was the purpose of going through the hoops just to eat half of a pizza right after? "

So soon after surgery?  Why do it anytime after surgery?  There should be NO TIME to just eat half of a pizza let alone right after surgery.

Obviously, one shouldn't eat a half a pizza anytime after surgery. It just amazes me that someone would go and do that RIGHT after surgery. What in the world would make someone want to do that?

Boxerlover3452
on 8/5/16 6:27 am
RNY on 06/06/16

I don't know why either.  I have enough trouble keeping my behavior in check let alone worrying about what others do.  However I do wonder how many of these people who do that were not responsible for paying for any amount of their surgery even with insurance, most still have large deductibles that they have to pay.  I do know for a fact there are those who pay NOTHING for their surgery and maybe they're the ones who don't really care.  Please note I said "maybe". 

lking
on 8/14/16 7:20 am, edited 8/14/16 4:18 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

I don't see one having anything to do with the other.  Medicare paid for all the bills for my pre-surgery, surgery, and post-surgery.  I have never cheated, but if I wanted to, I would.  It wouldn't matter if I footed the bill or not.

I believe the people that revert to their old habits have an addiction to food.  They need therapy and just not recognize their need.

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

Boxerlover3452
on 8/14/16 7:51 am
RNY on 06/06/16

Your stats are almost like mine except I'm a little taller than you and I just had my surgery 6/6/16.  What I meant by my post was people that were lucky enough to have Medicaid pay for their surgery, not Medicare.  I'm talking Welfare.  Not all, but some who have things paid for don't appreciate it as much as those who pay out of their own pocket or have to pay their high deductibles.  I know I'll probably get blasted for this, but I know one lady I work with had her surgery about 4 years ago had hers totally paid for by Medicaid and has gained quite a bit back. 

And yes, you are probably right that some people just revert back to old habits and I totally agree about the food addiction part.

Hope I didn't offend you.