I must confess...

Grim_Traveller
on 8/2/16 10:20 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Don't think about exercise. Think about activity. You don't need to run, or go to the gym. Be more active. Walk more. Take the stairs more often. Don't sit for too long.

I LOVE my Fitbit. It provides incentive to walk and move more often. You can start off with modest goals and increase them as you go along. 

Be active.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

birdiegirl
on 8/2/16 3:07 pm

^^^ This is so key.

As Grim has indicated,  think "activity".  You  don't have to be an athlete to be healthy.  park far away,  garden, stairs, walk to your co-worker rather then email.  Don't ask your kids or spouse to get you something, get up yourself etc etc.

My fitbit tracker makes me think of my daily activity.  I shoot for 55,000 plus steps per week.  Some, ( like Grim ) walk 6 figure numbers every day without formal exercise. 

JaxLiving
on 8/2/16 10:44 am - Spanish Fort, AL
RNY on 05/27/16

I find that my weight loss goes faster when I exercise! The downward jumps on my scale are more significant on the days that I have worked out the day before. I like the group classes at my gym. It is motivating to me to have others around me. I challenge myself to do as well as the people around me. Find something that you enjoy!!! Exercise makes me feel good!!!

SW:223, CW: 134.2; GW: 125, RNY: 5/27/16

Heather P.
on 8/2/16 11:03 am, edited 8/2/16 4:04 am

I don't exercise for weight loss.  I walk every day now (only since 3 weeks out from surgery) to relieve stress, build stamina, strengthen my heart, and get fresh air.  

Today, for example, I walked out the front door on my lunch hour and felt the awful hot and humid air and ALMOST turned around and went back in, but I told myself I can walk for 15 minutes in the heat, it won't kill me.  Now as I sit drinking my ice cold water and dabbing the sweat off my neck I am so glad I went.  It really really does make me feel better.  

Walking isn't for everyone though, find something you do like to do.  Sometimes I ride my bike, sometimes I do squats and other strength training exercises.  Mix it up and just make yourself do SOMETHING active.

**editing to add - You're only 5 weeks out right now, so don't be too hard on yourself.  Give yourself time to heal and gain energy.  When your weight starts coming off you may find that you actually WANT to be more active :)

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

Laura in Texas
on 8/2/16 1:50 pm

I did absolutely nothing until I was 8 months out. I had a bad back and was too exhausted to do anything before I had lost a significant amount of weight. I still managed to lose 200 pounds and keep it off.

I did get a fitbit 15 months ago and have worn it every day since then. Being more active is my goal for overall health, but the thought of formal exercise/going to a gym does not appeal to me. Find something that you enjoy doing and that works for you. If you think of it as a chore, you probably won't stick with it.

Right now focus on your eating and getting your strength back. Stop beating yourself up about not exercising, but try to do a bit more each day.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

White Dove
on 8/2/16 3:01 pm - Warren, OH

When I became a member of Weigh****chers back in 1973 they told us not to exercise.  They believed more weight would come off without exercise than with it.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

seattledeb
on 8/2/16 10:39 pm

Was that the year we had 4 hot dog dinners but no ketchup?

pammieanne
on 8/3/16 6:19 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

I'm almost 3 months out, and I haven't joined a gym. I haven't walked much either... I keep saying I'm going to. And I will... one of these days.

I'm spending so much mental energy working on food, that I just guess I don't have it in me right now. (not to mention the 100 heat here in OKC)

I have started parking in the way-back of the parking lots (thanks to my new car, in part), and walking DOWN the stairs at work (3 flights), and I've even walked up once, twice or maybe 3 times.

When I was fresh out of surgery, I did take walks around our building because of the risk of blood clots mostly.

Sometimes I feel guilty for not getting serious on the working out... other days I'm like 'eh, it'll happen'... 

I have a 5K in October, The Color Run. Not my first time to do it, and last time I was 50-60 lbs heavier... I also have a friend who did the RNY on NYE, and she's turned into a workout Queen (Proud of her)... I'm a little competitive. I'm going to be left in the dust if I don't start amping up the walking/running before this run. But I figure I'll get it done, because I'll have to try really hard to keep up with her! 

But I still have time, right?? 

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Heather_Austin
on 8/3/16 7:21 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 08/26/13

I didn't exercise until about 3 months after surgery and then I started walking on the treadmill - at first just 20 minutes then up to 40 minutes.  About 8 months after surgery I joined gold's gym and did 2 days cardiovascular, 2 days resistance  (with some cardiovascular first to get the hear rate up) and one day swimming each week.  

This increases my muscle mass and I lost inches like crazy.  It really helped the loose skin in my arms look pretty normal because of the added muscle.

I don't love working out and still 2 years later have to make myself do it most days.  It makes me feel and look a lot better.

On a side note, I've been reading a lot of articles that 3 or 4 sessions of high activity around 10 minutes a day is more beneficial than a single work out session.  You might want to Google it. 

Heather - Austin, TX

Heather_Austin
on 8/3/16 7:25 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 08/26/13

P.s. I've lost 90+ lbs since surgery.  Im a little bit of a slow looser.  I need to update my signature. 

Heather - Austin, TX