I must confess...

Tdheason
on 8/2/16 7:40 am
RNY on 06/27/16

Ok, I'm five weeks out from gastric bypass and I have not been exercising.  I didn't exercise before and find it hard to do now.  I just don't want to do it.  I have been trying to take 15 minutes breaks at work and walking but it's so dang HOT!  Please tell me how I'm hurting myself by not exercising, why I should exercise, I need this to get me motivated.

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 8/2/16 7:43 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

There are differing opinions on this. Exercising isnt necessary to lose all your weight. It is necessary to get your body healthy, as far as cardiovascular health.

It is really hot out and dont fault you for not enjoying it, I dont even exercise outside right now! I go to a gym and weight lift and do a running work out, but those are just things I enjoy (for whatever reason haha)

Maybe you would enjoy doing swimming at an indoor lap pool, or water aerobics even? Planet Fitness has really affordable gym memberships, but no pools.

If you have Blue Cross Blue Shield, they have a sponsored program called Health Ways where for $25/mo you can join almost ANY gym in the nation. Golds, LA, most planet fitness, anytime fitness, etc. Its pretty awesome.

Having muscle strength helps burn more calories a day (muscle requires more than fat to be maintained). Strength training has a greater metabolic advantage than running (you burn calories longer after you stop). Its not necessary, but super beneficial to comfort (stronger muscles/core = less back pain), etc.

:) Theres all kinds of workout classes that gyms offer, as well, you could look into maybe?

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

supershopper
on 8/2/16 8:18 am

It's good for your health, bones, and stress levels.

you can get free videos on youtube for almost anything that interests you. you don't have to go outside if you don't want to.

also- the library has dvd's you can rent for free.

I usually jog or take yoga- but lately due to the heat have not wanted to run outside. So I've been slacking in this area.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/2/16 8:30 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Honestly? Your weight at first is 90% due to what you're (not) eating. If you're too exhausted to exercise right now, it's not the end of the world. If you can do 15 minutes of walking in 5-minute trips at this point, honestly, you're probably doing OK since "something is better than nothing," especially when you're still low-energy from surgery.

Do what you can, but don't beat yourself up for not doing a ton just yet.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

AngelaRevised
on 8/2/16 8:45 am - Framingham, MA
Revision on 08/21/16

Get resistance bands or light hand weights and do basic exercises while just sitting around or watching tv. It will help a lot just to keep you moving without that much effort. 

hollykim
on 8/2/16 8:54 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 2, 2016 at 2:40 PM Pacific Time, Tdheason wrote:

Ok, I'm five weeks out from gastric bypass and I have not been exercising.  I didn't exercise before and find it hard to do now.  I just don't want to do it.  I have been trying to take 15 minutes breaks at work and walking but it's so dang HOT!  Please tell me how I'm hurting myself by not exercising, why I should exercise, I need this to get me motivated.

I have lost 122# and kept it off for 6 years without exercizing at all.

crystal M.
on 8/2/16 9:12 am - Joliet, IL

Honestly in the beginning if you just get up and move during commercials while watching TV.  Get exercise bands and use them while just sitting around.  Stretch while surfing the internet.  Do knee bends while cleaning...or just turn on some music and dance.  There are so many ways to incorporate activity during your normal life. 

Then there is the normal park at the back of the lot and walk to the store.  I always would make a few laps around the store before I checked out.  Take the stairs instead of the elevator when you can.  I would go up and down the stairs a couple times before heading where I needed to go. 

It all adds up. When you are completely sedentary and you start moving anything helps.  As time goes by I would suggest actual exercise.   

acbbrown
on 8/2/16 9:17 am - Granada Hills, CA

Whether you choose to exercise depends on your goals. Are you in this to get healthy or get thin? 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Deanna798
on 8/2/16 9:29 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I lost 115lbs without exercise.  Exercise IS good for you, so you should try to do it.  BUT, if you are beating yourself up for not exercising, you need to stop that.  Exercising is not actually important for weight loss.  Exercise is important for health overall, but if you are having trouble getting into it at 5 weeks post op, then don't you worry yourself about it.  I didn't even get the go head for exercise until 6 weeks post op.  walking is good, but having heat stroke is bad, so yeah.

you need to learn to be kind to yourself.  You also need to give yourself time to heal.  as the weight comes off you may feel physically better and want to work out.  You'll have the ability to find what you like.  Just know that whether you motivate to work out, or decide to take it easy, you are not wrong.  

I had my surgery in early august and didn't set foot in a gym until March.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Valerie G.
on 8/2/16 9:30 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Perhaps you can find some other ways to be active without actually exercising.  I know it's hard to muster up ideas this early, but don't sweat it...really.  As I lost weight, I became more and more active, just doing STUFF.  Exercise bores me, so I never did it.  My actions need purpose.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes