Bad few days

Tdheason
on 7/30/16 9:14 am
RNY on 06/27/16

i feel like I was doing pretty good with guild and protein intake. It has been 5 weeks since gastric bypass. But now instead of progressing I feel I'm am falling way behind again.  Food is starting to make me feel sick to my stomach. I don't want to eat and now I can even seems to tolerate fluid.  I just don't want anything. Are these set backs normal.  I have also been off of my depression medication for a few weeks and know that is playing a big part of my depression. For a couple of days I haven't met the fluid, protein, vitamin requirements.  Just having a hard time.

hollykim
on 7/30/16 10:26 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 30, 2016 at 4:14 PM Pacific Time, Tdheason wrote:

i feel like I was doing pretty good with guild and protein intake. It has been 5 weeks since gastric bypass. But now instead of progressing I feel I'm am falling way behind again.  Food is starting to make me feel sick to my stomach. I don't want to eat and now I can even seems to tolerate fluid.  I just don't want anything. Are these set backs normal.  I have also been off of my depression medication for a few weeks and know that is playing a big part of my depression. For a couple of days I haven't met the fluid, protein, vitamin requirements.  Just having a hard time.

why are you off your depression med? Maybe you still need it.

White Dove
on 7/30/16 10:44 am - Warren, OH

Not getting in your calories is actually not a bad thing.  Your body will burn stored fat to make up for it.  I was around 400 calories many times for weeks or months.  I did do most of my intake from protein shakes and always took my vitamins.  My fluid and protein intake were fine.

I ate very little solid foods before month four.  I would take a tiny bite of food and be completely satisfied.  I wanted to lose weight so was glad I was not eating.

My advice to you would be to find a protein shake that you like and use it for a while.  My favorite is BSN Lean Dessert.  It does not smell like a protein shake so it was not a problem for me to drink it.  When i open up a canister of it and smell it, it smells like cake mix.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

SkinnyScientist
on 7/30/16 11:47 am

On favorite protein shakes-

I like GOLD STANDARD strawberry (i.e. flavor 1) and banana creme (i.e. flavor 2). You can find them at bodybuilding.com. I make mine with unsweetened almond milk in vanilla flavor.

Notably, my surgeon did NOT recommend gold standard (I found it 2 years post op when figure skating and being on the road a lot).

My surgeon reocmmended EAS brand. It wasnt bad, it wasnt the most delicious stuff in the world either. It was merely "Meh."

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Grim_Traveller
on 7/30/16 2:20 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

In addition to what others said, get more fluids in. Nothing is more guaranteed to make you feel like crap than not drinking enough.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

PulchritudinousGirl
on 7/30/16 2:37 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

After surgery, I continued to take my anti-depressant but it did not work the way it did before surgery.  It was a capsule that I had to pull apart and put the contents in pudding or whatever.  My brain was not happy and I was in a funk for the first couple of months after surgery.  Once I was able to take my pill whole again, I started to feel better.  It was probably a combination of the meds, my hormones changing due to surgery and not using food to self-medicate.  I don't really have much advice for you other than to continue to take your meds.  Just want you to know you are not alone in feeling ****ty after surgery.  On a positive note, I am now four months post-op and I feel mentally and physically fantastic.  It will get better. Just hang in there!

RNY 3/21/2016 Highest Weight 232, Goal Weight 135, Current Weight 126

March-20.9, April-15.7, May-11.6, June-13.9, July-7.9, August-7.4, September-7.4, October-6.0, November-5.7, December-5.5

Save

Kelly L.
on 7/30/16 5:34 pm

The most important thing right now is fluids, you don't want to become dehydrated and end up in the hospital.   I hope you feel better soon!!