Anyone afraid to exercise?

Lisa F.
on 7/29/16 6:06 am
VSG on 06/06/16

Hi all -

Prior to surgery I was taking spin classes and doing other fairly intense workouts. I'm walking, but would love to get back to the gym but I'm pretty nervous about it. I'm afraid I'll pass out, get dizzy, etc. from lack of nutrition & hydration.

I'm 2 months post op and still hitting my protein and hydration goals, but just barely -- I'm working on it. I tend to worry a lot in general, so am thinking this may be more the case but I'm also curious if this is common.

Anyone experience this? Also, how long did it take you to get into more strenuous workouts (for those that do)?

Thanks,

Lisa

VSG DATE 6/6/16 | SW 280 | CW 198 | GW 175 | HEIGHT 5'8 | AGE 55

ORIGINAL GOAL WEIGHT OF 175 MET: 12/6/17 (18 MONTHS POST OP)

NEW GOAL: LOSE 20 LB RE-GAIN

acbbrown
on 7/29/16 7:06 am - Granada Hills, CA

I think it's important to be in tune with your body and figure out your limits. The best way to go - at least for me- is to start slow and build up incrementally. If you hit a point where it feels too much, slow down, go back a bit. 

I was pretty active before my surgery but it took me 3 months to get back to that level and start more strenuous exercise. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

z_m14
on 7/29/16 7:10 am
RNY on 07/05/16

I feel that at two months post-op, you should be okay to do some more intense exercise. I'm only three-and-a-half weeks out, but I've read many posters that said that their surgeon cleared them for regular exercise at six weeks out. It all depends on you, of course.

When I was at work on Monday, I was worried about getting dizzy or nauseous because I stand on my feet all day and move around constantly. I thought the first day would be hell on my body, but I got through it. The best advice I can give is not to think about getting sick. I think a lot of it is mental, so if you try to think of other things, you have less of a chance of getting sick.

White Dove
on 7/29/16 8:06 am - Warren, OH

I am currently recovering from open heart surgery and attend a rehab at a local hospital.  I wear a heart monitor while exercising and check my glucose before I start (required because I am diabetic).

During exercise there are therapists who advise you and also periodically check your blood pressure.  They have snacks, water, and oxygen available in case someone gets low blood sugar or has trouble breathing.

My friend does the same type of therapy at a different facility after her knee replacement.  Check with your doctor and local hospital and see what is available in your community.  The program costs $45 a month.

I got low blood sugar and dizziness when exercising after my RNY at a regular gym.  I did not know medical monitored exercise programs were available and would have used that instead.  It might be well worth it at least until you see how your body responds with exercise.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Kathy S.
on 7/29/16 9:09 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Congratulations on your surgery!

Get your surgeons OK and go for it. You will find being able to do things you have not done in years while the weight comes off is better than any number on the scales 

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/16 9:42 am
ReShape on 10/30/16

My Dr made me wait for my 3 month visit before she would release me to go to the gym. Prior to that she encouraged walking and other mild forms of exercise. I was actually ready to tear into it. I didn't tell her but when I hit my first 100 pound lost mark I got my tennis shoes on. waited till after dark and took off for a run around the block and actually made it without stopping. I felt like a champion give just a few weeks before I could barely walk 50 yards and back without stopping several times due to severe back ache, being winded and from a crippling knee situation. 

I did up my water intake while at the gym as after as I think I sweated 3-4 bottles out each session. I joined a new gym called the Blitz. I was the second member signed up and the first to work out there the day before they opened (I was pretty eager to start). It was set us as a circuit training program like Curves. The difference being in stead on marching in place every other station you beat the hell out of a heavy bag. I loved it. I was always the top loser every week wining whatever they were giving. I told the manager it wasn't fair to the other members as I had a very unfair advantage and I knew the feeling of failure at the gym from years earlier and didn't want other there to be discouraged. They had some pretty cool prizes, lol. 

After 6 months I moved onto the Gold's Gym and hit it hard 4 to 6 days a week as time would allow. I managed to hits Gold's all over the country while traveling for work and on vacation. 

The only heath related issue I had was getting dizzy and feeling like I was going to black out when bending over or getting up to quick. I found out my blood pressure had drooped a bunch with the losing of the weight. My meds which had be doubled over the previous year leading up to surgery was now totally taken away as I was no longer hypertensive. Another big plus. 

I say consult with your Dr and it they give you the green light go for it. I would feel great and accomplished after a couple of tough hours at the gym.

Congrats on your surgery and your daily success. Keep up the great work. Oh, and enjoy the gym!  Rich  

obioxiupa
on 7/29/16 10:00 am

I wasn't scared but I also wasn't ready to do really intense stuff, I've been gradually adding.  For example, I have more energy for yard work, but when its really hot I get dizzy and tiered faster....I have to build in breaks and be aware of limitations,

I thought I'd be ready to do the elliptical fast after surgery - in reality I waited for 10 weeksbefore starting, and I'm still not doing as much as I did presurgery, still building up.  I'm doing what makes me feel good and adding a little bit at a time. 

I keep thinking about going to the gym but I haven't yet.  I'm walking and doing the elliptical at home, slowly adding time and intensity.

Its working for me now.  Iwill keep adding as I go.

Vsg April 25th 2016 with Benjamin Shadle.

Starting weight 351, surgery weight 331

M1 -22.2 M2 - 14.2 M3 -8.9 M4 - 12.1 M5 - 4.7

8/22/2016 Lost 60.1 since surgery.  Lost 78.2 overall.

Goals:  1)Get under 300 - done!  Yeah!  2) Get under 280 (Yeah met this on 8/10/16) 3)Get under 268 (stay tuned!)

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 7/29/16 10:33 am, edited 7/29/16 3:33 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

If youre surgeon group has cleared you, I say go for it! Like others said, take it slow. Try things you think you may like. Spinning is incredibly intense, but its also as intense as you let it be, you control the dial and your cadence :)

I'm just over two months post op and I'm doing the Couch to 5k training as well as back hitting weights hard and heavy in the gym. Well, heavy relative to me now. I lost probably 40% of my strength from preop to when I got back to gym.

I'd like to start hitting up LA Fitness so I can get some laps in the pool again. Am kind of training for a triathalon.

Also, I'm getting around 800calories a day and normally 90-100g protein, and plenty of water.

I dont ever really feel like I may pass out, even when doing my running (granted, my program only has me running for at the longest 3 minutes at a time, and I set treadmill to 5.1 normally, so I'm not fully exerting myself there)

With weights I've not once felt like I was going to pass out and lose control of my weights ... yet

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/29/16 10:54 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I agree with others-- start slow and see what you can handle.

Err on the side of too much water. Take several bottles to the gym, or take a hydration pack if you're going outside.

Generally most people don't eat back their calories after exercising, but it does help to have a good snack before or after a workout. Things like beef jerky, string cheese, and hard-boiled eggs are all great choices.

If you're worried about getting dizzy, stay somewhere that you'll be safe. Have a gym buddy who can keep an eye on you. Be in a spot where you can stop and sit if you feel wobbly. Give a heads-up to your spin instructor that you've recently had medical stuff done and may need to stop. (Snag a bike in the back corner where you might feel less self-conscious from others watching you if you need to slow down.)

A medical ID can be great for peace of mind when you're exercising. Not a requirement, and not for full-time, but I always wear one when I'm out and about, like when I'm cycling. I have a great one from RoadID.com, it's got my husband's phone number on it as well as a PIN that first responders can use to access my full medical history online.

I hate to run (still do!) but do quite a bit of cycling. I took it very easy for the first 3 - 4 months and would do very short rides, maybe 20 minutes at an easy pace. I didn't get into anything more difficult until month 5 or 6 as I was always tired.

Bottom line: "something" is far better than "nothing," but there's no need to push yourself right away. The majority of your loss will come from the fact that you're not eating much, and there will always be time for more intense workouts when you're a bit farther out from surgery.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!