Debating Gastric Bypass Surgery

jglashan07
on 7/27/16 5:19 pm - Hutchinson, mn

Thank you this helped alot

Valerie G.
on 7/28/16 4:41 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Weight loss surgery has come a long way, with different procedures to select these days.  Before deciding on gastric bypass, first learn all you can about all of them, how they work, pros/cons, success rates, expectations and responsibilities of the patient.

The mainstream procedures are RNY (gastric bypass), VSG (gastric sleeve) and DS (duodenal switch).  A newer procedure on the horizon that many docs are jumping on performing is known as SIPS or SADI, which is still new to have proven success statistics.  They all work differently, which is good because we are obese for different reasons.  The key is knowing yourself, weight history, and how your body reacts to your efforts to lose weight - then finding your perfect match.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

-Flo-
on 7/28/16 4:27 pm
DS on 04/11/16

I highly recommend you look at all your options before picking one procedure. Many people only think of RNY when they think weight loss surgery but there are other options out there that may be a better fit for you. 

VSG- restrictive only, you will need to follow a diet for life to maintain your weight loss. Less invasive, you keep your pyloric valve so no dumping syndrome. Generally follow a low calorie, low fat, low carb, high protein diet. Initially the slowest weight loss, however at the 5 year mark has the same results as the RNY.

RNY- restrictive and malabsorptive. The caloric malabsorption generally lasts for 2 years, after that your body adapts and you will have to diet to maintain your weight. Vitamin malabsorption is for life so supplementation is a must. You may dump on sugary foods. Generally follow a high protein, low carb, low fat diet. Considered by many the gold standard for bariatric surgery. Compared to the VSG, RNY patients lose weight faster in the first few years. 

DS- restrictive and malabsorptive. Combines the VSG with intestinal bypass. It is the most malabsorptive  procedure, so it requires  the most supplementation and vitamin monitoring. Able to consume the largest variety of foods. Generally follow a high protein, high fat, low to medium carb diet. The procedure has the best long term statistics for resolution of comorbidities and ability to maintain weight loss. 

SADI/ SIPS-  newer "version" of the DS. More malabsorption than an RNY but less than a traditional DS. Vitamin supplementation for life. Able to consume a wider variety of foods than an RNY but not as much as a DS. Thought to have less complications than a DS.  Still considered experimental, so many insurance companies will not pay for it. Long term outcomes unknown.  

Really consider your life style, ability to maintain a diet and your willingness to follow a strict vitamin regime when you are looking at which surgery is best for you. People have done great with all of the above options. Good luck!

Janice25
on 8/3/16 9:36 am

as much as u try to be helpful some info about RNY you posted is not really correct: it is an old school:

"RNY- restrictive and malabsorptive. The caloric malabsorption generally lasts for 2 years, after that your body adapts and you will have to diet to maintain your weight. Vitamin malabsorption is for life so supplementation is a must. You may dump on sugary foods. Generally follow a high protein, low carb, low fat diet. Considered by many the gold standard for bariatric surgery. Compared to the VSG, RNY patients lose weight faster in the first few years. "

• post op RNY, especially  long term- but also while losing.low fat diet should not be recommended IMO.  Long term-  I don't need to follow low fat diet. MY diet is moderate in proteins, higher fat and low carbs.  Increasing my fats actually helped me to lose some of the regain...

• post op RNY people MAY lose faster in the first year or second.... but after that - the issue is no longer the case. I see a lot of VSG losing as fast as RNY - as long as they follow the guidelines.

5 years post op RNY.  

Jaide
on 7/29/16 11:42 am
VSG on 05/12/14

Hello Jessica,

I had Gastric Sleeve 2 years ago with no medical issues at the time except for my obesity.  I weighed 410 lbs.  I now weigh 371 lbs - I only lost 25 lbs after sleeve surgery.  

I now have anemia, hypothyroid, high blood pressure and edema on top of being obese, as well as acid reflux caused by my smaller stomach.

I still have to exercise and eat right just like the journey I would have had to take pre surgery.

It's an extreme measure and don't count on it to help you lose weight - we're all different and we all have different eating habits and or disorders so choose wisely.  It's not always the golden ticket everyone says or thinks it is.

Jaide :)