How often shoukd u be weighing urself?

lking
on 7/27/16 7:15 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

I weigh myself first thing every morning...always have (since beginning this journey) and always will.  I find doing this keeps me accountable.

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

Valerie G.
on 7/27/16 7:27 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

If your mood and livelihood depend on what shows on the scale, then you're weighing too often.

I weighed weekly, on the same day, same time each week.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

crystal M.
on 7/27/16 8:51 am - Joliet, IL

I weigh weekly.  I fluctuate too much on a daily basis.  I feel I get a more accurate weight by doing weighing weekly on the same day.  I always weigh in on Friday when I first wake up BUT...after I pee.  LOL, every little ounce helps.  I also measure myself on the first of every month.  I have a journal I keep track of my weight and measurements.  I have been doing this from the beginning. 

-Flo-
on 7/28/16 4:43 pm
DS on 04/11/16

So right now I'm weighing myself multiple times a day. Which for me is not healthy. I'm working with a therapist and I'm trying to let go of the scale. But its so hard when you had WLS, you want to know if its working. 

Ladytazz
on 7/30/16 11:37 pm

Like others have said there is no right answer for everyone.  You have to find out what works best for you.  It's very important that you are honest with yourself.

I weighed myself twice a day while losing.  Once in the morning when I got up and once right before I went to bed.  I wanted a sneak peek on what to expect in the morning lol.  But I had to promise myself that if I allowed that number to affect my emotions I would have to stop.  All it is is a number, information to help me gauge my progress. 

If I found myself getting upset about not losing after a few days I told myself I would get rid of the scale for a while.  I could only use the number for information purposes, not a tool for reward or punishment.  I had to keep my emotions out of it.  It was to determine whether I was on the right track or not.  And that was all.  If the number stayed the same for too long I would re-evaluate my eating to see if I was doing something detrimental to my weight loss.  It was especially helpful during the times when i was changing my eating, adding in a new food or eliminating something.

Now that I am maintaining I find it is important that I weigh myself daily because I know if I don't I will go into denial.  Since I haven't a clue on how a normal size person is supposed to eat weighing myself daily helps me learn.  

I've had a few times when I have been away from home and wasn't able to weigh myself for a while and during those times I imagined myself gaining a lot more weight then I actually did.  In fact my weight was the same or even lower when I got back on the scale but in my mind it was much higher.  So I haven't a clue how I am doing with my food unless I have the numbers to show me if I am eating too much, too little or the right amount.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.