Post op/ I have become very judgemental/critical of others eating habits.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/18/16 6:01 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I agree with Julie.  I would have told them to STFU and unleashed a torrent of abuse.   I knew I was fat; I knew WLS existed.  I didn't need some stranger pontificating on the benefits of losing weight.  I already knew.  Duh.  You've have to be a Magikarp not to.

Until I was ready in my own mind, nothing anyone could have said would have convinced me that I should have WLS.  

Before surgery, did you know someone who had WLS?  I'm guessing that almost everyone has.  I've known people who have lost weight/kept it off, lost weight/gain some back, and someone who died from sepsis two weeks after surgery.  I could pick any success/horror story I chose to believe that day and have a reason to have/avoid surgery.  The last thing I needed would be a random person butting into my personal business. 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/18/16 6:12 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/18/16 10:23 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

chassibi
on 7/15/16 10:16 am

I notice, but I am not opening my mouth. It's not my business unless I'm asked or they seem open to discussion. My husband ate like 3 little debbies last Saturday when we went canoeing, which was about 600 calories. He's not MO, he needs to lose 25#, but I was thinking "for the love!" the whole time haha. Yesterday evening he did complain about his knee bothering him because he stands on concrete now for his job, I mentioned that if he lost 10 pounds (25 really) it would probably feel a lot better. He didn't get mad, but I wouldn't say that to anyone else!

I am noticing people who are the size I was and larger just a few months ago though. How hot they look when outside, how difficult it looks to move...it makes me sad for them. Unfortunately, WLS is not available for everyone, and not everyone is ready or should have it.

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

catwoman7
on 7/15/16 11:02 am
RNY on 06/03/15

Like others have said, I definitely notice but I keep my mouth shut.

I've been tempted to say something to my 20-year-old niece, though, who's starting to put on weight.  It's so much easier to deal with 20 or 30 lbs - or to keep it from coming on in the first place - than it is to deal with an extra 100+ lbs.  I just don't want her to go through what I went through.  But I've kept my mouth shut so far.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

MyLady Heidi
on 7/17/16 8:06 pm

No I eat what my choices are and never judge, I do not wish to be judged so I don't judge anyone else.  Unless you steal food, or chew with your mouth open or act inappropriately to the waitstaff eating with me is simple.  If you do anything offensive as noted, it will be the last time.  My husband has friends who had wls and think because they cannot eat much it's fine to fill a plastic bag with food and hide it and bring it home, from a company Christmas buffet.  I was mortified.  My husband did not witness it.  We won't eat with them again.  I do not understand such behavior.  But I would put judging others choices as just plain rude.  You aren't the food police.  If you want to teach someone about appropriate eating teach your children so they never have to endure the pain of wls.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/19/16 12:52 pm

at 8 years post op - I don't judge anyone anymore...I am sometimes jealous that they can eat so many wonderful stuff. I wish I could eat a bite or 2 of some things without feeling bad afterwards. 

First 1-3 years post op - I was different.... time changed me.  Life changed me. 

I do have moments - here and there when I see someone rather large eating some carby snack...and I may have a moment of judgement..."should they be eating THAT?" and right after that I can recall a number of times that I would be in a store - ripping a candy package apart and frantically stuffing that candy in my mouth....because my BS was dropping and I didn't want to pass out and hit my head...  

so before you judge - for whatever reason - think of a person with uncontrolled hypoglycemia (not RH) or diabetic who misjudge his/her insulin dosage.... 

or someone who is on steroids and simply the can't control the urge to eat.... or someone with hormonal imbalances...or some other issues...

don't judge unless you want to be judged one day.. 

learn about things...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."