Please help! Have been trying to get surgery for over 1 year!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/14/16 12:13 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I don't know how much research you've done on this forum, but there are horror stories about the complications that can arise from a lap band.  My surgeon stopped doing the lap band completely because revisions are almost always required, and the damage that the lap band can cause is permanent.   Even though it can be removed, it may be too late.  And guess who gets to pay to have it removed.  Your insurance company?  No.  YOU.  If YOU want it out, it's on your dime.

I have never heard that the sleeve will create nutritional deficiencies when you're pregnant.  You can certainly get all the nutrition you need through proper eating and supplements.  Julie already commented on this thread, and she became pregnant soon after reaching her goal weight without any complications.

The sleeve can only restrict a certain amount of food for a limited period of time.  If you choose to eat slider foods, you can eat all day long and never feel full.  The most restriction you will feel will be after surgery when your stomach heals.  Over time, your sleeve will relax and you will be able to eat increased quantities of food.

I think you should reconsider your decision for the lap band.  Two bariatric surgeons have advised you against it.  What do you know that they don't?  The lap band can require follow up visits that will continue to cost you money, so if they're advising you against it, it's certainly not because they want to take advantage of you.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/14/16 3:14 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Yeah, my ins only covers the surgery, the fills & unfills would be on my dime, at $250.00 a pop, just to find the "sweet spot"?, hells no!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

sweet_love1126
on 7/14/16 3:42 pm
VSG on 09/15/16

Wow... $250!! It was $100-$150 in CA when I asked my first doctor last year, but he did mention insurance didn't cover the fills.

sweet_love1126
on 7/14/16 3:50 pm
VSG on 09/15/16

Firstly, thank you so much for your response, I really do appreciate it! I actually just signed up for the forum yesterday, but I've been reading so many different threads like a mad woman! It's interesting, it seems like a lot of doctors don't do the lap band anymore because of all those complications.

I have begun reconsidering getting the lap band and I am leaning more towards the gastric sleeve so we'll see!

pammieanne
on 7/14/16 6:23 pm - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

This is my favorite site that I've found. People here will tell you like it is. Sometimes with a lot of 'bluntness' thrown in! LOL Honestly, that's what drew me here, even if I have had my a$$ handed to me a couple of times ROFL... it means I'm hearing the truth, or their REAL opinion on matters... not just fluff ;)

You really can learn so much here! Welcome aboard!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 7/18/16 8:48 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I'm not a dr, but in the research I've come across the lap-band is a temp fix (5 years and then the complications outweigh the benefits) and they come out.  If all 3 people that you know that have lapbands have had great long term 5-10yr success with them, then you should buy a lottery ticket. Or Maybe you are ready to pump out 3 children in the next 5 years and the lapband will get you through.

I would do the research and not just rely on "hearing from numerous people" about the affect of WLS on infant health. I believer several OHers have had healthy babies, but you may have other health risks to contend with. 

Sharon