Please help! Have been trying to get surgery for over 1 year!

sweet_love1126
on 7/14/16 12:46 pm
VSG on 09/15/16

Firstly, thank you so much for your response, I really do appreciate it! Thank you for sharing your experience with the band, it really does give me something to reconsider... Even with all the research I had done on my own, I had no idea so many people had complications with it.

(deactivated member)
on 7/13/16 7:12 pm

OK Roxy here is Ur answer and this is also why ur docs are so frustrated quietly..... the lapband only works for 8 years max and then causes HORRIBLE  problems GERD  eating into the stomach an intenistine .... PLEASE take their  recommendation and get a sleeve or DS or RNY  NOT A band PLEASE

sweet_love1126
on 7/14/16 12:49 pm
VSG on 09/15/16

Firstly, thank you so much for your response, I really do appreciate it! I actually have heard that after a certain number of years you would need to go back and have them replace the band and I knew about GERD, but didn't realize how common and problematic it was.

I definitely am considering the sleeve after all these responses...

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/13/16 7:19 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

If you explore the site a bit more, there is a pregnancy forum, although I don't know how active it is. Whoever told you that you can't get adequate nutrition with the sleeve to have a baby is very misinformed. Many people get the surgery so they can get pregnant, all the excess weight made it difficult before. If women couldn't have a healthy pregnancy with wls then no one would get any till menopause!

If Drs are steering you away from the lap band, listen to them! There is a really high complication rate with the band. I also was firmly in lap band territory when I first started looking into wls, but once I did more research & got over them cutting up my stomach a whole world of possibilities opened up for me.

I got the sleeve & am very happy with my choice. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

sweet_love1126
on 7/14/16 12:54 pm
VSG on 09/15/16

Firstly, thank you so much for your response, I really do appreciate it! I actually was able to find some of the pregnancy threads, so thank you for that suggestion!

To be honest, I was given that information by word of mouth, but I now understand that something like that should have been taken with a grain of salt. I just thought it figuratively made sense since the stomach would be so small, that not enough nutrition would be provided to the baby.

I didn't understand at first why drs were steering me away from the band and I wish they would have told me to begin with, but after some digging around on the forum, I found this link: https://www.dssurgery.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Realize -Band-removed-from-the-Market.pdf.  which basically answers all my questions as to why they were so hesitant about doing the band. I guess they are planning to get rid of the band completely.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/13/16 7:30 pm, edited 7/14/16 2:29 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I had the sleeve in December 2013. In January 2015, I had my IUD removed, and I was pregnant several weeks later. I had an uncomplicated pregnancy and gave birth to a completely healthy little boy on Halloween!

It's absolutely possible to have a baby after WLS. I had to be a bit more careful about what I ate and how much, as opposed to if I'd been pregnant before surgery, but it wasn't a problem at all.

Feel free to message me if you want to chat :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

hollykim
on 7/14/16 9:27 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

are your dates correct?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/14/16 9:28 am, edited 7/14/16 2:29 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Oops, that should be 2015. Thanks for the catch!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

sweet_love1126
on 7/14/16 1:01 pm
VSG on 09/15/16

Firstly, thank you so much for your response, I really do appreciate it! That's actually very refreshing to hear that you had no complications with getting pregnant after the surgery, thank you for sharing that with me. That's been my biggest fear even though I'm no where near getting pregnant now, I would hate to get the procedure done then have problems with it later on when I want to have kids.

I'll definitely keep in touch, that's very kind of you, thank you!

NHPOD9
on 7/14/16 4:33 am

Congrats. It sounds like you are seeing physicians with integrity. Just because a procedure is reversible, doesn't mean it is the safest choice.  The complication rates for lap bands are high; I wouldn't be surprised if it was pulled off the market in the next five years. 

I had an RNY five years ago and gave birth to a healthy girl three months ago. It is absolutely possible to have a successful pregnancy post WLS.

You have a lot more research to do. Stick around, ask questions, and keep an open mind. You want a procedure to give you the best possible chance at improved health (which is more than just weight loss), and the lap band probably isn't it. 

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius