Weight Stall 2 wks. after surgery

TDown
on 7/13/16 7:21 am
RNY on 06/29/16

Hello, I just had RNY surgery on June 29th I went into the hospital weighing 251 lbs. One week after surgery I weighted in at 234.  Since then, I have only dropped down to 231.  Is this a normal situation?  I am following the diet and water intake to a T, even up and doing light exercises.  Has anyone out there had this same situation? 

pr31
on 7/13/16 7:28 am

Yep.  Stalls are common.  I stayed the same weight from week 2.5 to 5.  The scale just finally started moving in the right direction again this week.  I'll give the same advice I was given.  Keep following your plan and it will happen.  Just a word of caution - you mention doing light exercises.  I'm not sure what that entails, but my doc didn't want me to do anything other than walk for at least 4 weeks.  It takes at least that long for you to heal inside even though yo may be feeling good.

Surgery Date June 3, 2016

HW: 329 W at first consult 290. SW 238, LW 128, CW 139

TDown
on 7/13/16 7:39 am
RNY on 06/29/16

Oh, thank you so much.  When I state exercise, I mean walking and moving my arms with soup cans in them.  I literally did nothing of any sort of movement before .  Dang, I returned to work 6 days after my surgery, I was told since I work at a desk if I could handle the pain, I could return.  I never really have experienced any pain (other than the incisions that itch non-stop), but I am grateful for that for sure.  I have always failed at every diet I have ever tried so when I saw that the scale was not moving, I started working myself up.  Thank you for your information.  I will take all of your info in. 

kellogal
on 7/13/16 7:35 am

Absolutely! Don't be discouraged. It does take time to heal up completely. Give your body a chance to recover. Follow all of your instructions on what to eat while you recuperate from major surgery! Remember: It's a tool, not a miracle. Best to you.

The Salty Hag
on 7/13/16 7:35 am
RNY on 05/20/13

It's fairly common to have a pause in your weight loss at times, and it's normal. A lot of us have what is called a "3 week stall", meaning it happens around 3 weeks post op. Some get it at 2 weeks, some get it at 4 weeks. You've had a significant loss already, so the "pause" ( a stall is 3 or more weeks without any loss ), is your body's way of saying "Whoa! What's the deal?" It'll catch up, so to speak...and your weight will start dropping again.  

Many people tend to lose in a stair-step fashion.   (lose/pause/lose/pause ). 

If you use the search function at the top of the page and type in 3 week stall, you'll get hundreds of results. 

As long as you continue to follow your plan, you'll lose. 

Congrats on your surgery!! 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Grim_Traveller
on 7/13/16 7:43 am
RNY on 08/21/12

In exactly 2 weeks you've lost 20 pounds? That's fantastic. I think I only lost 21 my entire first month.

Congratulations, but beware: you'll never lose that fast again.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Heather P.
on 7/13/16 9:53 am

I stalled from week 2 to week 4.  Lost absolutely nothing.  It was so frustrating because that early on you are only eating a few hundred cals a day.  I remember being so sad.   It passed though and I just had another 2 weeks stall from week 12 to week 14.  Now it's starting to move again this week.  Just be patient with yourself and keep doing the right things and the scale will move ;)

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

White Dove
on 7/13/16 10:27 am - Warren, OH

At the top of the page, click More...Menu...Post-Op Planner.

Put your numbers in and it will give you a good estimate of how much weight loss to expect each month and when you should reach your goal.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Ncmamamia
on 7/13/16 10:33 am
VSG on 06/14/16

I am in the same boat. Had my Vsg June 14. I lost 22 pounds first 2 weeks. Nothing since. I walk 3 20 minute sessions a day. Low fat Greek yogurt at 9am, 20g protein shake at 10 a cheese stick at 2, then my tuna or fish at 6

i was also worried it was me doing something wrong. I had my 3 week check up July 6, doc said no weight bearing exercises. Only the bands and walking. 

I'm not even sure how many calories total for the day I should have. Only mentioned 60-70 grams of protein.  Any tips for me and is appreciate immensely. 

Thanks and good luck to you also 

(deactivated member)
on 7/13/16 8:26 pm

Listen... compare yourself 2 me... Ms Johny Depp .. I ate EvRYTHING I DRANK  My little Perrsian Cat  kept me ( somewhat guiltiily ) straight  all he did was worriedly weaved himself furriedlly between my  legs agaiin and again and again for  hours  keeping me walking. He made me walk every 20 minutes for five minutes he wouldn't let me sit down the little bastid. ((()))  best little cat in the world