vision fluctuations after WLS

Deanna798
on 7/11/16 11:28 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I never wore glasses until I was in my early 30's and got a job working on a computer.  I mostly got them for eye strain and over the years my eyesight started declining.  Even so, my prescription was never strong and I could see without my glass, though things were a little blurry.  

fast forward to my RNY last year.  Right after surgery my vision got whacky and I wasn't able to wear my glasses anymore.  I made an appointment with my ophthalmologist and he told me my vision was good and I didn't need glasses anymore.  So, I stopped wearing them and everything was great.

Just in the last few days I've noticed that my vision is getting a little blurry again.  So I tried my last pair and they didn't help.  So I went through the last 4 pairs of glasses and found a pair that works for me, these are the ones from about 8 or 9 years ago, right after I started needing glasses.  

Has anyone ever seen a fluctuation like this in their eyesight?  I find it odd that it corrected itself and odder still that I'm finding my vision declining again.  

I'm also about to start testing my blood sugar regularly, because after surgery my Type 2 diabetes resolved itself and I thought maybe my vision was corrected because of the correlation to blood sugar levels and vision.  It now scares me thinking that maybe my blood sugar is higher than it should be.  I just tested my sugar and I'm at a 2 hour peak and my sugar is 110, so I'm feeling good that my sugars are good.  

I go for blood work in a few weeks for my 1 year follow up appointment and I'll be interested to see what my A1C is.   I had my A1C tested in February and it was 4.5 unmedicated. Also, if I find that my eyesight stays this way, I will make another eye appointment and go and see if my vision has changed.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Ashley in Belgium
on 7/11/16 11:58 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

My eyesight has changed since surgery.  I have needed glasses for distance vision since I had gestational diabetes with my oldest son 18 years ago. I wore my glasses all the time because my cousin was better with them and well, I liked seeing things crisply and clearly! Duh. 

But in the last 6 months I have stopped wearing them all day and only use them for long distance driving. My doctor attributes the change in my vision to my age and she says it is quite common around the mid forties to need them less or need them differently. May not be related at all to Wls but I think keeping an eye on your blood sugar is smart  :)

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

(deactivated member)
on 7/11/16 12:01 pm, edited 7/11/16 5:02 am - CA

My eye sight changed after surgery.    Within three years of my surgery, I was using reading glasses (I was 34)   I can tell that my vision is definitely different declining as now I wear glasses all the time.    i won't attribute it to WLS, as my parents and siblings have all progressed to glasses as they have aged.  But, it is a good idea to be mindful of sight changes, regardless.  

hollykim
on 7/11/16 2:45 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

my eyesight has improved over the last 5 years or so,I am 6 yrs post op,but I don't know if it is related to WLS or not.

The Salty Hag
on 7/11/16 7:27 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

At some point after my surgery, I noticed I needed reading glasses. Last November, I started wearing glasses for close/mid range work, but I see far distances with no problem. I think it's just my eyes getting old. ( Mid-forties now...yay. ) 

I've been semi-night blind for a long time, glasses didn't improve it. That hasn't gotten worse, or better, since surgery. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

(deactivated member)
on 7/11/16 7:52 pm

My eyes are bad do to getting older. 

Valerie G.
on 7/12/16 4:43 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

That's a hard one to blame on wls.  Being in your 40's, it's a prime time for eyesight to decline anyway.  Another vitamin level to check, though, is Vitamin A.  A and D are easy to dip with RNY and DSers.  You may need to add some megadoses of dry A to your regimen.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/16 3:04 am

I too noticed increasing flexibility in my corneas if you will- I don't NEED glasses to read - I just enjoy them . 

Its good when it comes to restaurant menus ..signs,. things like that  and reading documents secretly upside down across desks . 

Is it WLS related ?  perhaps ... the fact that it didn't deteriorate may be but I can't be sure like the other posters .