Depression/Anxiety and WLS

(deactivated member)
on 7/10/16 1:24 pm, edited 7/11/16 1:01 pm

Hello Friends,

I hope you are all doing well! So I've struggled with depression and anxiety for years. I've been managing it (poorly) by eating for years. This summer I said enough. So I began to pursue 1. Therepy 2. WLS 3. Hopefully medications. I've done steps 1 and 2. Now I want medication. I'm tired of struggling with depression and anxiety for years. But now that I'm on the path of WLS I'm scared to tell my PCP that I need medication for depression incase it would interfere with me getting approved for surgery/Heath Insurance coverage. What should I do? I desperately want medication but I don't want to ruin my chance of surgery.

UPDATE: just scheduled an appointment with my doctors office. Thanks for the encouragement 

(deactivated member)
on 7/10/16 2:29 pm

Depression is a very common thing and often related to weight gain. I would hope your PCP would understand treatment would increase your chances of success with your WLS since you have identified depression as a factor in your weight/eating habits. Also meds before surgery will lessen the chance of depression ( what did I do?) after surgery. I guess a lot depends on how understanding your PCP is of mental health issues. Would your therapist support you going on meds and talk to your dr?

I hope you get replies with others experiences and I hope they are positive towards your asking for meds now. Lots of folks have spoken about taking depression meds and they are the ones to help you. All I can offer is my thoughts and my support.

Good luck to you

(deactivated member)
on 7/11/16 12:49 pm

Thanks!

acbbrown
on 7/10/16 4:01 pm - Granada Hills, CA

It would seem sort of discriminatory for a doctor to refuse to help get surgery approved just bc you are on medications. I've never really heard of it happening except in cases where a doc had a legit reason (like the person was completely mentally unstable at the time). In fact, docs should be happy you are taking control of your health and mental health. I personally have had depression and anxiety for pretty much 2 decades and never ran into any issues in the process. 

Good for you for getting a handle on things and just make sure you are your own best advocate. Don't let anyone put you down - esp docs- or make you feel like you don't have a right to pursue this and get healthy. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

(deactivated member)
on 7/11/16 12:53 pm

Thanks so much. I had a pretty rough school year so I deemed this summer "My summer of self care." So far I've started counseling, begun the WLS process, and been doing the "me" things I love like painting and writing. Now it's time for medication.

Donna L.
on 7/10/16 5:15 pm, edited 7/17/16 2:41 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

First of all, congratulations to you for wanting to improve yourself and recover!  That's amazing and takes a great deal of courage.

I have severe depression for which I was hospitalized once ten years ago, a severe eating disorder (BED), and I was approved for surgery after disclosing all of this.  Many of us have struggled with depression and anxiety, so you absolutely aren't alone!

What matters isn't that you are depressed - what matters is where you are at the time you will be having surgery.  I was in therapy for years and managed both my illnesses well.  I only take one (small) dose of an antidepressant daily now.  Also, a psychological evaluation is a part of the process to get approved by insurance.  It's also important to disclose psychotropic medications to medical staff because they interact with so many things.  Additionally, some are better than others for us, because many can stimulate appetite. The bariatrician or doctor you will work with needs to know those things.

The biggest way to ruin your chance of surgery is to not disclose, because dishonesty will look far worse than having depression on any psychology evaluation.

Also, if you cannot control eating, that becomes a huge problem after surgery.  I have only severely overeaten once, and it was extremely painful.  It's dangerous potentially.  Fortunately, I have never repeated that mistake.  It is one of many reasons the surgical team is so thorough.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

(deactivated member)
on 7/11/16 12:55 pm

Thanks so much for the great advice! 

jseemann16
on 7/10/16 5:19 pm
RNY on 09/29/16

I have been on medication for depression/anxiety for 2 years. When I had my psych eval the doctor told me that it is always better to treat depression before surgery due to changes with hormones that can make depression worse temporarily after surgery. Talk to your PCP to get their opinion and to discuss your options. Good Luck!

leeann73
on 7/10/16 6:09 pm

hello there.  I have anxiety and a panic disorder and I understand what you mean about being worried it will disqualify you.  There is still a big stigma against mental health, even in the medical community.  Sometimes I feel that every ailment I have is blamed on my anxiety and not taken seriously.  In your case, I would think that by asking for the medication, you are showing that you are committed to better health and taking control of your own health.  I think you should talk to your health care provider and be honest that you are concerned that it might be taken the wrong way but that the intention is to get control of yourself in mind and body.  Best of luck to you and congratulations on taking control.

(deactivated member)
on 7/11/16 12:58 pm

Yes! I'm nervous they would say that since I struggle with depression I shouldn't get surgery. But I hope they see that I am trying to get control of all those demons I struggle with instead of ignoring my problems. Thanks for the advice.