allergic reaction on operating table

(deactivated member)
on 7/6/16 4:09 am
Revision on 07/05/16

Hello everyone. I had an allergic reaction yesterday during surgery to one of two medications or latex about 15 minutes into my gastro-gastric fistula rny revision surgery.  My heart rate went up to 145, and my blood pressure dropped really low. When the nurse was rolling me back I opened my eyes and noticed right away that my stomach still felt the same. I said "what happened?" They explained. 

My face was swollen all day yesterday and I was pretty sad and dissapointed that this whole thing got delayed, but, I AM ALIVE, thank Goodness!!

My Mom was at the hospital with me. When my doctor told her what had happened, she lost it. She was crying so bad that he made time to go back and speak privately with her. Then he came and saw me...

He told me he wasn't going to try and do my surgery again right now because I needed time to heal, and because of what's going on with my Dad....my Dad who is 60 yrs. Old and in perfect health fell an cracked his head open back in March. He has a Traumatic Brain Injury and we have had some problems with him. He doesn't really act the same anymore. I don't see how his problem has too much to do with me. I have been through SO MUCH, I deserve to have this corrected and if need be, I will have my kids father come down and take care of me after surgery if it's too much for my Mom to handle emotionally I understand.

So I was kept overnight and moved to a room. Was able to have non clear liquids, ice cream. The lap camera's had just gotten in when my incident happened so my stomach wasn't touched. They just removed the foley cath, and now I can eat a whole food breakfast this morning.

The doctor will discuss a plan of action with me at a follow up visit at his office, I was told.

Thanks again for all the kind words and support

Megan M. 

RNY on 12/22/14

I am so sorry you went through all this.  It's sounds a though the doctor will be looking for more solutions for you and will continue to work with you. I was told once that "God's delay is not God's denial."  Hang in there.

Sharon

(deactivated member)
on 7/6/16 4:43 am

So sorry you went through that and now the surgery has to be delayed and obviously is more complicated to make sure you are not exposed to the allergen again.

Hang in there. I hope your Dr has a great plan and the delay is not too long.

JaxLiving
on 7/6/16 6:01 am - Spanish Fort, AL
RNY on 05/27/16

I'm so sorry to hear about your allergic reaction, and about you father! You and he will be in my prayers! Perhaps you can follow a similar diet to what you would be on if you had undergone the surgery, and then you'll be that much further along when you actually have your surgery! Stay strong!

SW:223, CW: 134.2; GW: 125, RNY: 5/27/16

pammieanne
on 7/6/16 6:15 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

I'm so sorry! That must have been a terrifying experience for your dad.

I hope you heal up and they are able to do the surgery for you soon :)

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

NYMom222
on 7/6/16 7:42 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Delays are tough, but allergic reactions are dangerous... so sounds like the Doctor made the right decision...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

(deactivated member)
on 7/6/16 8:35 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

When I saw him today he said he would still do my revision surgery. After what happened I'm kind of scared. I see him next week and will discuss it with him.