Cold feet

nida
on 7/4/16 2:44 pm

You will do just fine. I wish you much success. 

malouser
on 7/4/16 7:57 pm
VSG on 06/09/16

Hi There: I just had a VSG on 6/9/16. My 1st weigh in was 299 at 5ft 3 in. I came close to stroking out this time last year when my BP hit 200 over 100. That was my wake up call. You need to ask yourself what your end game is and are you up for it? Bottom line with my journey, I was afraid I would die early if I did not take this step. I am now 250 with 100 pounds to go. I look so much better but also my BP was just coded at 120 over 74. I am on the road to a healthier me. You can get healthy! You can overcome and emerge on the other side a Healthier and Happier You ! My only regret is that I waited till I was 46 to have this done. Good luck and let us know how things went.

Rinny
on 7/5/16 3:54 am
VSG on 06/29/16 with

I just had surgery on Wednesday and to be honest,  I told my mother,  there is still time to make a run for it, while I was laying on the preop table.  I was terrified right up to the end. It's over,  I'm getting better every day.   The 4th of July was the hardest day since all the BBQs, going on while I'm on liquids. I'm focusing on my why,  which is my child and a healthier me. 

Best of luck!

Cheryl Denomy
on 7/8/16 8:45 am - Oshawa, Canada

Nervous is normal.  With very few exceptions (and I think those people are very likely to be written up in psychiatric journals), nobody wants to go to the hospital and literally put their lives in the hands of a random group of people -- most of whom you just met three seconds before they hit you with the anesthesia.

As lifelong dieters, we're somewhat accustomed to failure.  Before my surgery, I went on hundreds of diets and lost thousands of pounds -- over and over and over again.  In the decade before my surgery (in 2000), I gained and lost the same 150 pounds at least three times.  It's exhausting, it's demoralizing -- and at the end of the day, I was still the size of a house.

I didn't really have a lot of time to get nervous about my surgery.  I met my surgeon on March 31 and had my surgery on April 17.  It was the hand of God on that one, in my opinion.  Back in those days there weren't the myriad of hoops to jump through, no Opti, no psych evaluation, no orientation, none of that stuff.  So I wasn't particularly nervous about the surgery -- I did think about dying, because I had two kids at home -- but then I figured at close to 400 pounds myself, I was probably going to die anyway, and long before my sons grew up.

I was 43 when I had my surgery.  I have not, since that time, regretted doing it one single minute.  I got my life back.  My kids are grown up and launched into their lives and I not only saw that happen, I actually participated in it.  I only wish I'd done it sooner -- like ten or 20 years sooner, but things come into your life when they're supposed to, and when you're ready for them.

Surgery is a tool, not a cure, and it will work for you if you use it properly and remember that it's a gift.  Best of luck to you, wherever your journey takes you.