Cold feet

z_m14
on 7/3/16 12:57 pm, edited 7/3/16 12:59 pm
RNY on 07/05/16

I'm roughly two days away from my surgery, and my mind is racing a mile a minute. I keep wondering if I really will be successful with this surgery or if it will end up like my other failed diet attempts. At the same time, I keep telling myself that surgery is one of the most effective weight-loss tools for the morbidly obese. I am in my twenties and weigh 400 lbs. I am worried that if I don't do this NOW that I will continue to gain weight and eventually be on "My 600-lb. Life" unable to walk or wipe my ass.

Did anyone else have second thoughts when he/she was about to get the surgery? Since last October, I couldn't wait to get this done, but now I feel anxious and unsure.

rocky513
on 7/3/16 2:14 pm - WI

I would guess that 95% of us have experienced "second thoughts" or had "buyer's remorse" for a few weeks after surgery.  I think the main reason we "second guess" this life saving surgery is because we compare it with all of our previous diet failures and believe that surgery will fail too.  The other reason is that we will HAVE TO change our relationship with food.  Food has always been a comfort.  We have used it to 'self sooth' for so long that we are afraid that we won't know how to cope without turning to food.  

The truth is, you will have to follow the weight loss surgery rules forever to be successful. The surgery will get the weight off fast, but then it will be up to you to do "the head work".  You really do need to change EVERYTHING about how you relate to food.  The head stuff is the hardest part of the journey.  If only the surgery included some sort of brain surgery to fix the compulsion to eat.  Sadly, it does not.  Many of us add a therapist to our WLS team.  Trying to figure out the reasons you over-eat will help you in the long run.  

WLS was the best thing I have ever done for myself.  I have been below goal for 5 years.  I took this second chance at a healthy life seriously.  I am compliant with my diet 95% of the time.  I don't formally exercise, but I keep busy everyday.

The best advice I can give you is to not "experiment" with how much, or what kind of unhealthy foods you can eat before you get sick.  If you measure your food and stick to the plan you will succeed.  The people who fail are the folks who think they can "blaze their own trail" where the diet is concerned.  Blazing my own trail lead me right down the path to obesity.  I'm a strict rule follower now.  I never eat until I feel full.  I measure my food and then stop eating.

It's hard work, but you CAN DO THIS!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

RNY on 12/22/14

WHY I HAD WLS SURGERY

Be as nervous as you like, that's normal, but also use this time to get clear on why you are doing it.  Most likely your reasons are more than your appearance. I would suggest making a list and then you can check them off over the next months and have motivation to keep the weight off.  For what it's worth, here is the logic I had for surgery: 

1 - My knee is messed-up and if I do not get the weight off, I will be looking at knee surgery.

2 - I just lost 100+ pounds with a conventional diet and put 90% of it back on within 2 years, so I am not one of the lucky 3-5% who will keep the weight off.  This may be you, also.

3 - WLS is easier to recover from than knee surgery.

4 - WLS was (and is) the right option for me. It may not be perfect, but it is my best option.  If I don't get it, I will yo-yo every 5 years - 2 years to take it off and 2-3 years to gain it back. 

5- Things that will be better:  enjoying the outdoors, clothes, . . .

I was more than nervous - before surgery I updated my will, changed my insurance benficiaries, had everything notarized, made sure a lawyer-friend had a folder with all my important papers, (I had the advanced directives form to fill out but I did not get around to it).  That is just me - be prepared.  But, now all that stuff is done. 

But, when it was all said and done, and I was in pre-op and felt the first wave of sedative kick in, I looked at the clock and my reaction was - 7:42, my new lucky number!  I had difficult times - most of us had, but pre-op clarity will help you get through a lot of post-op crap.

May I humbly suggest you generate a list and write down your motivations for surgery.  It might help you prevent 'buyers remorse' and give you focus to get through any difficult times. And give you something to do while you are waiting for the insurance approval. 

I did not have second thoughts after surgery until I reached my goal weight and had this thought that maybe I could have lost it on my own (again) if only I tried harder.  Then I found research that showed that dieting makes your hunger hormone, Ghrelin, go 38% higher and STAY THERE.  That study popped by little I could have done it without surgery balloon.  Never second guessing my decision again.

Best of Luck, or more currently, MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU!!

Sharon

(deactivated member)
on 7/3/16 3:36 pm

Put some warm socks on and read all the great replies you will get.

Most of us had cold feet too and very few of us regret WLS. Some have "buyers remorse" for a while but get over it as the weight comes off and they recover from the surgery.

Many of us wish that surgery like this had been available in our twenties and we could have avoided years of yo yo dieting with the physical and mental pain that brings. You are making the best decision your can for your term health..

You'll make it through these last two days and be glad you did. Hang in there....you can do it!

hollykim
on 7/3/16 3:43 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 3, 2016 at 7:57 PM Pacific Time, z_m14 wrote:

I'm roughly two days away from my surgery, and my mind is racing a mile a minute. I keep wondering if I really will be successful with this surgery or if it will end up like my other failed diet attempts. At the same time, I keep telling myself that surgery is one of the most effective weight-loss tools for the morbidly obese. I am in my twenties and weigh 400 lbs. I am worried that if I don't do this NOW that I will continue to gain weight and eventually be on "My 600-lb. Life" unable to walk or wipe my ass.

Did anyone else have second thoughts when he/she was about to get the surgery? Since last October, I couldn't wait to get this done, but now I feel anxious and unsure.

I didn't have a Nervous Moment. I couldn't wait to get on the table. I was so afraid I would get to 400#. I knew I didn't want to go there.

just do it, it is going to be the best thing you have EVER done for yourself in your young life.

it is not another failed diet. It is an awesome lifestyle change,one I so wished I had had

available when I was in my 20's. 

Put some socks on those cold feet and get er done!

Donna L.
on 7/3/16 4:35 pm, edited 7/3/16 9:35 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

This is more than a diet attempt.  It's extremely ha*****anging.  It is the most effective weight loss tool for morbid obesity, period.  It gives us the ability to not have to eat constantly.  It removes the ravenous hunger that plagues us.  For me, surgery plus counseling basically guarantees weight loss.

I used to be well over 400 pounds, and let me tell you that the road to over 600 pounds isn't that difficult to travel for us.  You are brave and courageous for taking this step, and taking charge of your obesity.  I had lost hundreds of pounds before my surgery, but I had regained some.  I was terrified.  While my weight loss has been slow this year (131 pounds since last June 22nd) I have kept all the weight off for the first time ever - AND I'm continuing to lose weight.  I feel fantastic even though I only weigh 299 pounds now, with more to go!

It is okay to be anxious and unsure.  It is a scary thing, surgery.  It's always scary, even at the best of times.  You're definitely not alone. 

Good luck to you this week!

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

sheriberi29
on 7/3/16 4:54 pm - Cleveland, TN

Like everyone has stated ... Cold feet are normal, so many unknowns... Well we've all been there and are cheering you on to "RUN !! Don't walk to get this life changing opportunity " 

Banded 6/9/09 HW 242 LW 142 Revision 198 m 1 loss 16 lbs 182. M 2 loss 4 lbs 178. M3 loss 6 lbs 174.m4 loss 4 lbs 168. M5 gain 2 lbs 170. M6 loss 7 lbs 163 M7 loss 5 lbs 159 M8 loss 1 lb 158 M9 loss 0 M10 155 loss 3 M11 154 loss 1 M12 loss 2 152 M13 loss 3 149 M16, 17 0 loss M 18 loss 4 lbs 145 (18 months 53 lbs)

NYMom222
on 7/3/16 7:02 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I was terrified...the great unknown is scary. As difficult as the place I was in was, it was familiar territory. I felt good after surgery but promptly after one week went into a 3 1/2 week stall.... I was convinced I was one of the ones it wasn't going to work on.

I will tell you support has been crucial, here and in real life support groups. My friends and family haven't had the surgery, they can only listen to so much of my mind's ramblings...

No regrets. 2 year surgiversary this month. Woop!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

right1
on 7/4/16 3:30 am
VSG on 06/27/16

I am one week post op and I absolutely had high anxiety and cold feet in the last few days leading up to the surgery.  I had moments of terror.  If you have someone to talk it through with, I found that helpful.  Read all the replies here, and know that being anxious is part of this quest. 

My surgery was late in the day.  I had all day of fasting to think about the changes that were coming, and the physical impact surgery would bring.  When I finally got to the preop area, an angel appeared.  Her name was Kat, she was my nurse, and she is about a year out from VSG.  She wanted to keep us focused on me, but answered my nervous questions, particularly about regrets.  She then shared all the success she has had, all the benefits she has felt, and why she chose to have surgery right where I was.  She was better than any sedation anyone could have offered.  I went into the OR feeling assured. 

If you are still anxious tomorrow, and you aren't the first person on the schedule, call the office and ask for a pep talk.  Ask the questions you have.  If you are an early case, talk to your surgeon before the OR.  You won't be the first to need reassurance.  Good luck!!

karenp8
on 7/4/16 7:19 am - Brighton, IL

Nerves are totally normal. A huge change is coming and the unknown is scary to most of us. I too wondered if surgery would really work for me. I had done every diet known to man several times a piece. I could lose weight every time. But what I couldn't do was keep it off. I had been overweight or obese my whole life,even as a child. But at age 52,after losing both my parents to complications from diabetes and seeing my own blood sugars spiraling out of control,I took my health seriously and had my RNY. I am so glad I did! Gone are the diabetes,high cholesterol, high triglycerides and uncontrolled high blood pressure and all the meds for them. My BP is perfect now on one low dose pill. My weight went from a high of 273 to 118 to 123 in about 10 months and has stayed there ever since. I no longer have constant knee and back pain every single day. I walk 4 miles a day for fun and now my family can no longer keep up with me! I feel like a different person,so much stronger and healthier. I can buy clothes in small sizes now anywhere I want and actually enjoy shopping now. I can go to a restaurant and most worry about fitting in a booth. Best of all I no longer fear going to the doctor and weighing and then getting a lecture each and every time. 

It hasn't all been easy. I worked with a therapist for a while to realize what was causing my overeating and to find new ways to cope with stress and emotions. I still at 4 years out weigh my food and track on my fitness pal every day. I exercise somehow every day,most of which is just brisk walks with my rescue dog Lily. But I have found that if I do the work of eating only my allowed portions and moving some every day I can succeed at this. You can too! I'm so proud of you for taking this step early to improve your health. I waited so long (52) that I had already damaged my joints from all the weight. My surgery gave me my life back and it is so much better than I could have ever imagined. Get ready for an exciting ride! And stay connected here too! We want to share the journey together! Before and after pics to follow.