A different view - 6 weeks post-op

pammieanne
on 6/28/16 1:51 pm - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Overall I'm very pleased with my progress... I'm also 6 weeks out.

That being said... I just got sick. I ate almost 5 hours ago... the same thing I had yesterday, about 1oz of chicken and 1/2 cheese stick. The biggest difference between yesterday and today is that I was probably in a hurry today. I had a meeting in 15 minutes, and I know I ate too fast... this food has sat in my stomach (along with the water I drank hours later****il I couldn't take it anymore... Something is obviously stuck.

It sucks. It really does... 

But I also know that I have an eating issue... pre surgery and post surgery... 

I have to work to find that sweet spot on food right now... 

And I must.slow.down! I chewed, what I thought was well enough... but apparently not.

Yup. We're in the same boat. Yup. It stinks.

But I don't regret it... I'll just take it easy for dinner - soup anyone? - and keep on keeping on.

Hang in there, and I will too!!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

lauracody
on 6/28/16 4:54 pm

We should keep in touch! You had your surgery the day before me! Hope your weight loss is going well! And thanks for reaching out! 

mute
on 6/28/16 2:25 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

I am overjoyed and grateful and happy at 15 months out from surgery absolutely.

At 6 weeks out from surgery I was struggling for sure. I was uncomfortable and had issues with eating certain things - my incisions gave me issues for quite a long time and I had pain for longer than a lot of people do. But I didn't have any real complications. It was just overwhelming is all. 

It sounds like you just need to keep working at it. I don't think I got the hang of things for at least 3-4 months. And then I still had times that I just didn't feel that great after eating. I occasionally threw up from something I ate many times before. To me it was what it was, just something to deal with. I've been super comfortable with everything for about the last 6-8 months or so.

You will get a grip on it eventually.

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 6/28/16 9:20 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

At 6 weeks, it is still very early.  I don't think you appreciate how early it is and that at 6 months life will be MUCH easier.  Hag is giving good advice.

Every new food is a new experience - even the first few times you can have different reactions.  If a food is safe 3-5 times when you eat it, it prob will stay OK.  Eating is a science experiment for a few months.  It gets better after a few months and by 6 months, you will have a routine that works for you.  I did not try many new foods at your stage - I waited until 6 months out to try many different things.  Stick with safe foods at work.  Grilled anything is difficult - it is usually not that moist - I boiled my chicken (and cut it finely and mixed with mayo to make chicken salad) or cook it in spag sauce so it does not dry out.  So it was several months of prot shakes, cottage cheese with spag sauce(my version of lasagna), poached flounder, SF grek yogurt, fluids.  

You are not alone in feeling "This has got to get better" if I read you right.  It is not a picnic - lot of new things to get used to.  This has been a tough road for many - including me at times.  I tell people that Pre-op clairity on why you are having the surgery will help get you through alot of post-op crap.  All of a sudden, things will click and it will be easier.

Also, perhaps your mindset with change and you will always WANT to eat this slow.

Sharon

LeapSecond
on 6/29/16 6:14 am - AR

Hang in there,it does get better with time.  When I eat too fast I still get sick.  I never threw up often but when I did it was always because I ate too fast.  I have an app on my phone that I can set the interval between bites.  The app is Eat Slower.  Chewing to the point of turning your food into soup also helps.  I used to count how many times I chew each bite.  I hate being queasy.  For me if I ate in less than 15 min it was too fast.  20 min is okay.  

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

ConnieC417
on 6/30/16 6:11 pm
RNY on 10/26/16

I am going through everything that you are. I am 5 weeks out, hungry all the time and not losing a damn bit of weight. I wanted a magic bullet, knew there wasn't one, and yet I still get pissed at no weight loss knowing that my body has not fully healed. We just have to do what we know we must do, and pray a lot if you're into that sort of thing. I am going to call my surgeon and ask about a different PPI, because I do not think my stomach acid is under control. I don't know what else to do. I wish you the best; keep us posted.

We don't have to agree on anything to be kind to one another...