Do you ever forget you have a pouch?? And eat too much???

Boxerlover3452
on 7/3/16 8:12 am
RNY on 06/06/16

Perhaps you're right.  I do still measure a half cup total per meal.  Most times I eat the complete 1/2 cup, sometimes I don't because I feel full.  I do know what full feels like. 

Just to clarify what you're saying, you're saying ONCE I heal, then I'll be able to feel full? 

Also, I've seen posts from those that are quite a long time post op and I see some are saying they eat 3 oz. of meat.  Is that the complete meal or do you have sides such as veggies.  I'm just wondering when I'll be able to eat "normal" again by having a "complete" meal (meat, and sides such as veggies) while still watching my portions.

The RN in my surgeon's office is 2+ years out and she said she eats no more than one cup of food per meal.  Just curious.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/3/16 8:15 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Yes, that's right-- you'll feel full once things have healed up.

Generally, your meals post-op will be dense protein first and foremost, maybe a bite or two of veggies afterwards, NO carbs (rice, pasta, potatoes, etc).

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Boxerlover3452
on 7/4/16 12:12 pm
RNY on 06/06/16

I was wondering why I sometimes don't feel as though I had surgery.  Right now my notebook from my surgeon's office said that I can have a baked potato minus skin (no more than 1/2 cup) with salsa on top if desired.  I can also have 1/2 slice of toast with my egg if I choose.  I only do that no more than 1X/week.

Also, one more question, No carbonated beverages......why is that?  I could sure go for a beer about now.  I'm not a pop drinker, so that's not a problem for me but a beer once in a great while would be nice.  Will I ever be able to do that?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/4/16 8:37 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

The sooner you drop all carbs entirely, the better off you'll be. Many people here don't touch them at all, even once a week.

As far as carbonation goes, there's some concern that it will stretch your stomach, though I've yet to see any scientific evidence of it. I drink Diet Coke, but didn't try any until at least 6 months out and let it go mostly flat at first.

Alcohol is a BAD idea after surgery. Between altered insides and lower weight, lots of people see their tolerance go WAAAAAAY down. "Transfer addiction" is a very real possibility as well; without food as an emotional comfort tool, some people start self-medicating with alcohol instead. Not to mention that it's nothing but carbs and empty calories. You're best to stay far away until maintenance at least.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/28/16 4:43 am, edited 6/27/16 9:44 pm

I do.. I binged last night.... Slider foods ....but enough to end up with severe belly cramps... I do that once in a while......... Then remember for next few months what not to do....  8 years post op..At goal... You think I would know better???? Nope.  That's why I have a tool.. Because hiring someone full time to whack me in a head or belly when I do stupid **** like that was not practical.... Rest assure - next few days I would be really nice to my pouch and my belly...really really nice....  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

crystal M.
on 6/28/16 6:26 am - Joliet, IL

I have a band so it's a bit different.  There are days when my band is wide open and I can eat way too much if I let myself (and let's be honest sometimes I have over done it).  But most times I am good and stop before my band gives me a reminder. 

Valerie G.
on 6/29/16 1:22 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I have a DS stomach (not a pouch) but yeah, 11 + years out and I still overestimate how much I can eat.  My secret???? have my husband fix my plate.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Ladytazz
on 7/3/16 1:07 am

Just about every single time I fix myself something to eat I think "That will never be enough."  I just tell myself that if I am still hungry after I eat it I can have more.  I rarely need to do that.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.