VSG and GERD

(deactivated member)
on 6/21/16 2:03 pm, edited 6/21/16 2:30 pm

I have been approved for VSG (scheduled for July) and was wondering, I have an issue with acid reflux  in which I take a Zantac 150 a couple times a week. My primary doctor listed on my chart as GERD however I have never been formally treated for it. I was told to just take a Zantac 150 as needed. I have noticed certain foods (tomatoes OMG) and when I eat seem to cause most of the issue and have adjusted it so that I don't really have an issue much except on occasion when I say screw it and eat what I am not supposed to. Apparently I also have a hiatal hernia that will be fixed during my surgery.

So my question is: I spoke to my surgeon and he said since it's more of an occasional acid reflux rather than the more serious GERD that he doesn't see an issue with me having VSG but that it is up to me. He said it CAN make things worse. I do not want RNY so IF my VSG does happen to make things worse, will I still be able to take a Zantac after the surgery?

Anyone with VSG and acid reflux or GERD, I would love to hear your after surgery experience. Thanks in advance.

Kathy S.
on 6/21/16 2:42 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi  

If you  have not done so be sure and post this on the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum (VSG)

Good Luck

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/21/16 2:43 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

You should be able to take a ppi after surgery, but again your Gerd could get worse, just be aware long term use of a ppi has its own risks in it & of itself. Hopefully you won't have to take it too often. Maybe dietary changes alone will get you off the ppi, but then again it might not. Its kinda a crap shoot, some get gerd, some don't.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

seguine13
on 6/21/16 4:33 pm
RNY on 02/17/16

My best friend had a VSG 2 years ago, and this year she developed terrible acid reflux. (She never had it before the surgery.) In order to fix this, the Dr recommended a revision to RNY. Hopefully, you will have a different experience.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/21/16 4:42 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

OH actually has an interesting feature article on this subject.

Usually the VSG is contraindicated for anyone suffering from GERD prior to surgery.  I did not have GERD or a hiatal hernia prior to surgery, but the GERD appeared after surgery.  I took a prescription PPI for a year.  It's somewhat subsided, which I attribute to a relaxation of my sleeve over time.  

You might not be able to take OTC PPIs after surgery as they won't be strong enough.

There is someone on OH who is about to revise from a VSG to an RNY because of severe, uncontrollable GERD.  Turns out there's a genetic component that causes overproduction of stomach acids.  

It's a tough call.  Some people don't have problems, some do.  There's no guarantee on which side of the fence you'll fall.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

NHPOD9
on 6/21/16 4:55 pm

Have you had an endoscopy to determine the effects of your existing reflux? If your surgeon knows about your preexisting condition and has not scheduled one, I would question his motives/abilities. VSG is known to make reflux worse and is a condition that can lead to serious consequences. My surgeon would not even consider the VSG for me, based on my history of GERD. If your surgeon hasn't suggested one, you should ask him why, especially knowing how the VSG can make the condition worse.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

lking
on 6/21/16 5:41 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

My surgeon said acid reflux/GERD = RNY.  I had RNY, have not been bothered by acid reflux/GERD ever since.

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

CMR1075
on 6/21/16 9:07 pm
VSG on 01/15/16

I was diagnosed with GERD years prior to VSG and experienced the same things with tomatoes, acidy things...OMG orange juice was the worst!!! I wound up having to have a endoscopy to determine whether or not I had a hiatal hernia before surgery, which I did. I didn't even know what a hiatal hernia was until I went in for my consultation. Luckily for me, my surgeon has found that as a loop hole to the pre-approval phases for surgery. He figures if he gets in there and there is a hernia, he has to repair it in order for the VSG to be successful. Because of that I was able to schedule the hernia surgery immediately and not have to wait or do a supervised diet for 6 months like my insurance required for VSG. You get 2 surgeries for the price of one ;) Since the hernia repair/VSG, I still have heartburn here and there but nothing like it way. I take a PPI but it's usually every few days, not daily anymore. Maybe your issue could be a hernia as well???