Possible complication

chaplainJess
on 6/21/16 1:13 pm

i have an appointment tomorrow because I'm worried about pain and tenderness around my bellybutton. 

I guess I just need reassurance that I'm doing the right thing by going to see my surgeon. I have a tendancy to over react and i don't want to worry over nothing. 

I am one week post op vsg. When I was coughing I felt a pop above my bellybutton. Now I have a lot of pain in the area. It did not hurt before. I can't touch it without pain and can't wear anything with a waistband. I think I feel a bump, but I'm not sure. No fever. I'm worried about a hernia. 

I hope I'm not being over sensitive, it's just hard to tell "post op pain" from "bad pain". 

Deanna798
on 6/21/16 1:16 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

definitely go, because it sounds like you have a hernia.  I tend to second guess myself and have been a bit paranoid in the past about my health, but I think with something like this it's better safe than sorry.  

You are doing the right thing.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/21/16 1:46 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Definitely best to check with your doctor. It's entirely possible that they'll say, "yeah, you've just got a stitch in there that's a bit irritated. Take some tylenol and you'll be fine." OR, they could say, "this could be more serious, let's check it out before it gets worse."

You've done the right thing by calling! Your surgeon has seen hundreds, if not thousands, of patients and knows what can go wrong. Best to check with an expert, that's what they do!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

emelar
on 6/21/16 1:47 pm - TX

If you're worried, that's reason enough to go to your doc.  You may have popped a stitch, which isn't a big deal - but let your doc make that call.

(deactivated member)
on 6/21/16 2:01 pm

Better safe than sorry.

chaplainJess
on 6/21/16 3:00 pm

thanks everyone, i hadn't considered a pulled stitch. Its hard to tell what is worth worrying about. we'll see what he says tomorrow. 

chaplainJess
on 6/22/16 11:14 am

All clear from the doctor! Thanks everyone

Deanna798
on 6/22/16 1:23 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

always better safe than sorry!  Glad everything is okay.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20