Do you dump? First time eating after surgery (RNY)

swim_bike_smile
on 6/20/16 8:59 pm
RNY on 06/13/16

How were you "fortunate" (sarcasm) enough to find out that you did?   Vomiting is probably #2 on my list of things that I hate-- I'm even a 'sympathetic vomiter' (i.e, if someone else vomits or I smell vomit, I also vomit)

While the following has nothing to do with dumping, I had my one week post-op appointment and I am cleared to eat mushies. Today I had buffalo pureed chicken, refried beans with like 5 shreds of cheese (yes, I counted out the individual cheese shreds out of the bag), and 1 soft scrambled egg with low sugar ketchup.  

I measured out and had 2T of each 'meal'.

Every bite I took was the size of a pea, and yet everything sat HARD in my pouch.  It didn't hurt, but I was just very aware that I had food in my belly.  It was uncomfortable.  Is this normal?  I have absolutely no problems drinking liquids, and can drink a 16oz glass of water in 30-45 minutes.

Am I doing anything wrong?  I'm living by the motto 'moisture is key' and added water to the beans, and soft scrambled the eggs.

Thanks folks!!  

Grim_Traveller
on 6/21/16 4:57 am
RNY on 08/21/12

At one week, take the food progression slowly. That seemed like a lot of food yesterday for one week out. Introduce only one new food per day to see if you tolerate it.

Dumping only comes from sugar. Limit your sugar, and you will never dump.

But dumping is not the only thing that makes you vomit. It isn't even the most common thing. Eat too fast, you could vomit. Take big bites, vomit. Don't chew well enough, vomit. Food too dry, vomit.

Lots of other things can give you gastric upset, and none of them are dumping. Dumping is sugar only.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

seattledeb
on 6/21/16 6:06 am

I'd skip that chicken a week out.

You are normal!