A little scared...

JulesyBulesy
on 6/20/16 4:40 pm - salem, OR

Hi everyone,

Wish I could say I am new here, but I've been a member for a long while.  I have sat in the backgroud coming and going and jus****ching posts.  I have been overweight my whole life and began looking into surgery when I was 19, I am 32 now.  I have gone through the process about four different times now.  Each time I was not able to complete because my health insurance would change.  Here I am, 13 years later, 2 beautiful children, 6 years of college and 2 degrees older...and embarking on this journey, again.  I feel good about it this time, like this is how it is supposed to happen.  I am well educated on the complications that could happen, the different procedures, and the lifestyle change.  I am looking at being ready for surgery in approx 4 months.  I have to complete a 90 day program per my insurance.  4 months is nothing!  That being said, I have some fears around surgery and recovery.  I've never had surgery before and it's kind of scary.  I am hoping I could hear storys about what you were scared of and how it wasn't as bad as you thought...or maybe it was.  I need to prepare myself...but I also think I am psyching myself out a little.

TIA!

peachpie
on 6/20/16 5:40 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I wasn't scared of surgery... I was totally at peace surgery day. What I was worried about is that I wouldn't be able to make the adjustments needed to my diet/fitness to make the surgery a success. I basically feared I would continue to be my own worst enemy when it comes to how I treated my health.

I wish I had magical words about how it clicked one day... But literally-- it's day by day by day. 

I think my only other fear was coming out sicker than what I went is (i.e.- constant reflux, vomiting etc). I didn't... Worried for nothing. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Teena D.
on 6/21/16 9:04 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

This is me! I am not scared if the surgery0 but oh my goodness, I'm so afraid of not being able to do this.

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

swim_bike_smile
on 6/20/16 9:40 pm
RNY on 06/13/16

I was scared of having surgery-- downright terrified.  I was so scared that I told my friends and family what I wanted if something happened to me in surgery.  It became a running joke that if my ashes weren't turned into a coral reef if I died in surgery, I'd come back to haunt every last one of 'em.  Surgery was a week ago with no complications, so I guess it's safe to say that I'm not haunting anyone any time soon! :)

The main thing that everyone kept telling me was "follow your surgeon's plan to a T"  and while I'm sometimes one to bend the rules, I was (AND STILL AM) so terrified of doing damage to my body that I've followed the plan exactly, and have had no major issues (so far, and thankfully).

I'd ask about what their pain management plan for after surgery is. Those vary pretty wildly.  

Something else that helped was to write down the questions that you have.  Whenever you meet with the surgeon she/he should answer every question you have-- even ones you may think are silly.  That's what they are there for-- to do a good job of your surgery and to help address any issues or concerns you may have.  If they don't do this, or at least have another member of their team do this, then I'd choose another surgeon.  

G2GAWAY
on 6/20/16 9:55 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

Surgery in general makes me a bit nervous, so I didn't take any of this lightly. But once I made my mind up, I moved forward with no apprehension or fear.  I felt like this was the time and I was ready.  I had talked to the doctor about this before and didn't proceed.  I wish I had done it years ago, but I am not sure I would have been as successful if I had done it before. It was NOT as bad as I thought it would be. I recovered quickly. I took 1 week off, worked from home 1 week, and then left an hour early each day the following week (after working the first full day).  I was tired, but I did it.  I came home and napped every day for quite a while and at about 6-1/2 weeks felt my energy levels returning to normal and even getting better. Not sure how much time you are taking off work (or if you do work), but this is what I felt I needed to do for me because I like to be busy and I was already taking off work at a very inopportune time for work. 

Good luck on your journey.

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

Deanna798
on 6/21/16 9:29 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I was 42 when I had RNY and it was my very first surgery.  I was ready to lose weight, but I was nervous about having surgery in general.  After getting through it with relative ease, I realized that it wasn't that big of a deal.  I know in hindsight my nervousness seems silly to me now, but I understand how you feel.  You'll look back on your nerves and find it mildly amusing once everything is said and done.

hang tight, it will be here before you know it!

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Boxerlover3452
on 6/23/16 6:53 am
RNY on 06/06/16

I had my surgery June 6th, 18 days ago.  I was a little nervous because afterall even tho it was done laproscopic it is still MAJOR surgery.  I too think I was more afraid of giving up my best friend........FOOD the way I knew it. 

I was only on pain meds for 2-1/2 days.  Day 3 I was out running errands and just busy, busy, busy.  I felt GREAT!  Day five I was mopping the kitchen floor, dusting and vacuuming.  I started walking almost immediately.  We had to walk in the hospital and then when I got home I was taking short 10-15 minute walks with a friend. 

I went back to work after day 10.  Easiest thing I ever went through.