I need surgery to lose weight!

mboxblob
on 6/20/16 4:58 am

Hi,

My name is Matt. I am 32 and obese! 

I eat quite healthy (ham pitta's for lunch e.t.c) but still I cannot lose it.

The only option for me left is Surgery :(

Any advice?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/20/16 8:10 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Find a surgeon in your area-- many, if not most, offer informational seminars. It's a great way to get an overview of the process and find more information.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Grim_Traveller
on 6/20/16 9:06 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Well, we were all big enough to need surgery, so we know where you are coming from.

My first advice would be to examine your relationship with food, and to get help, such as therapy, doing that if need be. Because if you are obese enough that you qualify for surgery, you are NOT eating quite healthy. It's impossible. So maybe make that crucial step as you are looking into sugical programs.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Deanna798
on 6/21/16 11:38 am
RNY on 08/04/15

you speak truth, Grim.  I thought I ate healthy before surgery because I didn't have a sweet tooth, then I realized I was eating a lot more food than my body needed.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Heavens2Betsy
on 6/20/16 10:00 am
RNY on 02/29/16

Hi Matt.  Welcome to the club!  I agree with what the others have said.  Also, use the search feature on this site to get a lot of your questions answered.  This site is FULL of info that can help answer most anything you can think of!  Also, read a lot of what is posted on this site, too.  Find a food tracker like, www.myfitnesspal.com and start tracking every single bite you put in your mouth - no leaving stuff out!  That'll tell you how much you're eating each day, and how healthy it really is.  Then, realize that surgery is not magic, the surgery doesn't make it happen - you do.  The surgery helps, but it's still up to you to change your relationship to food every single day whether it be a good, bad, or a boring day.  Most of the time, our stubborn brains need therapy to change that relationship, so get ready to work hard!

Age: 55.  5' 8" SW 345 lbs.  RNY on 2/29/16 at UVA w/ Dr. Hallowell.     
Month 1 - 3/29/16: 319 (25 lbs. lost) | Month 2 - 4/27/16: 314 (5 lbs. lost) | 
Month 3 - 5/29/16: 303 (12 lbs. lost) | Month 4 - 6/28/16:  293 (10 lbs. lost)
Month 5 - 7/28/16: 289 (4 lbs lost) | Month 6 - 8/28/16: 282 (7 lbs. lost) |
Month 7 - 9/27/16: 278 (4 lbs lost)

Kathy S.
on 6/20/16 11:46 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Congratulations on taking control of your life and your weight loss journey.   ? We suggest you research all your options for WLS and OH is the right place for that.  Once you have reviewed your options surgery wise and decided on one then your next step is to find a surgeon.  We can help you with that.    ?? Here are some links that will be helpful in your research.??

• Surgery Type Forums for research and to reach out to those that had the surgery.

New procedure  

Intragastric Balloons to Treat Obesity

New FDA approved ORBERA Balloon

Bariatric News: ReShape Integrated Dual Balloon

If you have not done so, contact your insurance company and verify if they cover WLS and if so what procedures and if there is any pre-op qualifications.?  If you have Medicaid and or Medicare, contact them to verify if they cover WLS, if so, what procedures and if there are any pre-surgery qualifications you have to meet.  Ask for a list of surgeons in your area that take your insurance then we can assist you with contacting those surgeons on your behalf to get you started on your journey!   Let us know if you need anything else.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

(deactivated member)
on 6/20/16 11:49 am

Welcome Matt,

The "surgery" you are referring to will actually add a few pounds of liquid to your body. Then, only by following a rigid eating plan for.....well, forever actually, is what is required to succeed. If you're eating "healthy" now, why are you in trouble? It's HOW much you are eating that is doing the damage. An Elephant is a vegetarian, as is a Hippo. They eat very healthy, yet they are enormous. But, they eat 400 pounds of "healthy" a day right?

I was also convinced that a surgical procedure was going to be necessary to help me. I was lucky to have the right people interjected into my journey at the precise time to effect the most change. My PCP told me exactly what to research, and what was going to be expected of me Post-op. My RN in recovery from my RNY, told me she was seeing so many people who had not taken post-op seriously, and were leading horrible lives because of their non-compliance. It scared the **** out of me. Then, I came here, read as much as possible to further help myself. 

It is not the surgery that will lose the weight. It is the decision you make to commit to the WHOLE plan. It is following the path that many before us have trod with success. It is not a trap door to fitness. It is a chance to re-set your relationship with food as energy only.

mboxblob
on 6/21/16 5:24 am

Thanks for all your help, everyone!

I admit. I lie to myself, I perceive myself as a healthy eater but in fact I don't think I am at all.

I work in an Engineering office and the only time I get up from my desk is to get some cake or biscuits in the office. I drive everywhere and take very little exercise.

My fitness pal is a good idea, but I can't weigh out everything. I will take too long. I get hunger pains even after I have finished my ham pittas.

Any ideas on where to start. I feel like I am going to burst I am that overweight 

rocky513
on 6/21/16 2:00 pm - WI

Weighing and measuring your food is essential to succeed after  weight  loss surgery. You are worth the time and effort.  You can start by eating low carb/ high protein diet.  Eat mostly meat and non-starchy veggies. Don't eat breads (pita included) pasta, crackers, chips,  rice,  potatoes,  sugary foods (cookies, cakes, muffins, candy).  Don't drink your calories (sweet coffee drinks, smoothies, soft drinks, sweet tea, etc). Stick to calorie free drinks.  If you eat like this you will lose weight.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010