Surgery in 14 days, starting to second guess my decision

Mary Gee
on 6/20/16 4:04 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

There is an Over 50 Group.  Click on 'see all forums' and you'll find it... not to be confused with BMI Over 50.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 6/22/16 9:03 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I just turned 59 and had my surgery at 57 1/2 about 18 months ago.  Age is a factor as in that "WHAT THE H@## ARE WE WAITING FOR - we are not getting any younger!!" 

Seriously, age can make losing go slower - so I lost 15 the first month or two and the 10-12 a month after that - do the math - in 10 months I was 120 pounds down.  I never had 20-30 per month loss, but  focused on following the instructions and it came off.   

Anesthesia can have more complications for those over 60  - so make sure you go over these risks with your doctor and depending on your risks, the shorter surgery for the Sleeve vs the longer Bypass may be something for you and your dr to take into consideration.

At my age, I also thought that I couldn't wait any longer for some better breakthrough to be developed - by the time it would be widely available I would be too old to take much advantage of it. 

A friend of mine is 70 and see had her Sleeve at 68.  She is down 85 pounds and still slowly losing - but her exercise and diet are inconsistent - she feels she has made good progress, all things considered.

So, age is only one of the factors to consider, and I not even sure that is really that relevant.

Best wishes on your journey.

Sharon

kerrilyn_123
on 6/22/16 9:37 am - Barrie, Canada

Thank you so much for your reply! I just cannot wait any long I am sooooo excited. I prepared for 18 months before deciding on the band and almost all of my savings!

I think the sleeve is best for me!

Kerri

corky1
on 6/25/16 2:06 pm - Caledonia, Canada
RNY on 08/24/16

That would be me!  I had a band placed about eight years ago and am revising to bypass (or sleeve) shortly. I am the same height,  weight and age as you and paid $16,000 for my band.  That still bothers me, but am trying to let it go.  Where are you in the process?

kerrilyn123
on 6/25/16 2:45 pm - Oro medonte, Canada

Hi there

my name is Kerri I am so glad to hear from you wi**** was better cir****tances I'm still not sure I will ever get over that experience 

i actually traced from north of BARRIE to a nail salon in Scarborough to try and get fills absolutely crazy!

i am so excited to do this! I'm nervous because of age but done living for the last 16 yrs at every weight loss system and memberships at every gym around lol

i have another appt with dr glazier June 28 trio July 7 then dr Hagen July 11 so probably a month at most after 

I started this process 3+ yrs ago hmmm decided on the band first ugghhhh 

Where are you in the process?

corky1
on 6/25/16 3:35 pm - Caledonia, Canada
RNY on 08/24/16

Yes,  I decided on the band because it was less invasive. They are doing a lot of revisions now.  I've had all my tests and my last appointment was yesterday.  The age thing concerns me as well,  but I am healthy except for the usual aches and pains. I see the surgeon next Thursday and was told surgery would probably be late July.  However,  I have a family holiday the first week of August, so will postpone until I come back.  Sounds like we will be having WLS the same week or so!  My surgery will be at St. Joe's in Hamilton.  Yours?

kerrilyn_123
on 6/27/16 6:24 am - Barrie, Canada

Good morning,

Mine will be at Humber.

Wow yours was booked very quickly!

I have been a patient of Dr Glazier for a while now because I wanted to see if I could do opti fast..nope...so I see him tomorrow and that will be that last time I have to see him until after surgery.

So exactly what is the process after the trio an visit with Hagen? What type of tests??  July 7 trio and July 11 Hagen

I'm excited but OMG if I hear one more person say "at this point in your life eat healthy and walk" I am going to scream LOL

At this point in my life I would love to pick up a cute lil dress from Ol Navy with flip flops and go sit along the waterfront!

Have a great day

Kerri

kerrilyn_123
on 6/28/16 8:25 am - Barrie, Canada

does anyone know if Dr Hagen will does revision surgery all at the same time..band removal then RNY??

corky1
on 6/28/16 5:45 pm - Caledonia, Canada
RNY on 08/24/16

I'm not sure about Dr. Hagen, but I was told it is done at the same time unless there is damage to the stomach (erosion etc.) that needs time to heal. I sure hope to have only one surgery,  crossing my fingers and toes!

crazy4birds
on 6/20/16 11:30 am
RNY on 12/02/14

I actually cancelled my surgery 4 days before I was supposed to have it.  About 7 months later I regretted that decision (my A1C climbed higher) so I was able to reschedule it without jumping through the pre-op hoops.  That was 1 1/2 years ago and I am glad I went through with it.  One of the reasons I cancelled was because a lot of people told me I wasn't that bad and if I just stuck with the protein shake regimen I could lose it on my own.  Well I didn't stick with it and I didn't lose any weight on my own.  I also felt like my husband was pushing it on me and my heart wasn't in it.  I realized later that it was something I wanted for myself.  Glad I did.  My husband, my kids and my grandkids don't have to worry that they are going to lose me to all the weight related issues that I had...i.e. high BP, high cholesterol and high A1C.  

HW: 240   SW:  224   Goal:  130