RNY gastric bypass surgery to a revision

Christine Knorr
Wiatrowski

on 6/19/16 3:04 pm - Ventnor City, NJ

Thanks...I have to go to the seminar first before seeing the surgeon so hope he does the RNY to DS

Grim_Traveller
on 6/19/16 7:02 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

You have a better chance of winning the lottery. You can count on one hand the number of surgeons who have experience doing a RNY to DS conversion.

If you surgeon says they can do it, I'd bet money they'll say they can do something "as good as" a DS, and you'll likely end up with a distal RNY. If that's what they say, run away. 

Instead of a Duodenal Switch, you'll end up with the old Bait and Switch.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Christine Knorr
Wiatrowski

on 6/19/16 7:38 pm - Ventnor City, NJ

so what you saying is that it would useless to request a revision?  I can't accept that opinion...

Grim_Traveller
on 6/19/16 8:01 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

No, that is not what I wrote. I wrote that, if you are going to pursue an RNY to DS revision, you should get on a plane and go to see one of the few surgeons who are able to do the surgery properly. A local surgeon is going to either do a surgery that is NOT a DS, or butcher your insides so badly you will have a shorter and much more miserable life.

An RNY to DS is NOT to be taken lightly! It is a complicated, dangerous procedure, and one that I would never elect for myself.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

hipswishingvinegarball
on 6/20/16 9:21 am

What Grim said is exactly right, and this is coming from someone with a DS. You need to go to one of the very few surgeons that do the complicated revision from RNY to DS. 

Any other surgeon you go to, is almost certain to just offer you another type of RNY, or band over RNY, which is not something I would ever want. 

Actually, even if I found another surgeon that would go ahead and do the rny to ds revision, I still would only go to one of the vetted ones, because I know it's a complicated surgery, and much higher complication rate for less skilled surgeons. 

Here is a list of US surgeons in the US that are known rny to ds surgeons, and there are a few more if you go outside the US:

Dr. Keshishian, California

Dr. Rabkin, California

Dr. Simper, Utah

Dr. Elariny, Virginia

Dr. Buchwald, Minnesota

Dr. Greenbaum, New Jersey.

Dr. Stephen Boyce, Knoxville, TN

Dr. Ayoola, Frisco and Denton, TX

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 6/24/16 12:21 pm, edited 6/24/16 5:23 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I am a RYNer and part of my paranoia about regaining led me to look into all the variations of revisions for RNY - currently the conversion to DS looks like it will give the best results, but - as of 6 months ago is was an open surgery - could not be done laporoscopically because of the complexity of the operation.  (you can often go Sleeve to DS laporoscopically). 

What Grim is saying (and is consistent with my research) is that is is hard to find a doc that does the plain old DS and it may be even harder to find one who is experienced with the RNY to DS revision, and that a doc may tell you he will do the DS conversion, but he may just do a small rework of your RNY rather than the real DS you need.

Either way, the sooner you start with the behavioral changes, the better off you will be.  As you know, the healthier you go into surgery, the healthier you come out.  So small changes in diet and exercise will help prepare you for surgery.

Sharon

(deactivated member)
on 6/19/16 6:42 am, edited 6/18/16 11:43 pm

If you still want to keep overeating .. yep a DS is definitely your best bet . But a larger pouch can be managed .. I actually ASKED for a large pouch ( stoopid me , right?) because I love to eat salads and fiber . 

Its going to be a while before you will be scheduled for surgery ... why not try different ways of eating / exercising and see what lifestyle changes you're actually happy making ? This last surgery will be your final one so make sure you ask for exactly what you need for the rest of your life . 

((( hugs )))

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 6/19/16 1:21 pm

DS has a sleeved stomach. I eat exactly as much as any person with a stand alone sleeve. I don't have some of the restriction with TYPE of food as RNY, and malabsorb unlike a stand alone sleeve, but saying we overeat as if you have unrestricted room is stupid. 

White Dove
on 6/19/16 8:02 am - Warren, OH

The average weight loss with any RNY revision is 20 pounds.  That is mostly due to the liquid diets before and after surgery.  People spend a lot of money, go through another surgery and are then disappointed to still be obese.

To actually lose weight and keep it off you need to eat dense protein and stop eating simple carbs.  The advice to do the five day meat test was excellent.  You can do that and then continue to eat dense protein and limit simple carbs until you reach your goal weight.

No surgery is going to do that for you.  It is a matter of changing your mind about food.  You can easily out eat any surgery.

Revisions are not successful. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Oxford Comma Hag
on 6/19/16 8:20 am

I agree with Tazz. Before my surgery, I wasn't at all honest with myself about what and how much I ate. Because I wasn't, it was easy to fool myself into thinking I really didn't eat much and was the victim of genes and a sedentary job.

The truth: I ate like a linebacker, as much or more than my husband. Birthdays? Two big pieces of cake. Friday night? Two big glasses of wine, a plate brimming with pasta, and three pieces of garlic bread. Thanksgiving? Two plates of food plus dessert. I ate everything, and in huge quantities.

It wasn't until the nurse practitioner at my surgeon's office told me in no uncertain terms to keep a strict food log that I did. What an eyeopener.

You say your family also failed you. No. My husband is a guy who can eat anything and not get fat. His eating did not fail me. I failed me. I ate my way to 300+ pounds. No one force fed me.

I have made a daily effort since my consultation to get right with food and be honest with myself. Surgery did not do that, but the restriction I have is very helpful. 

You have to get right in your own head for any surgery to work. You can do it. Start now with keeping a foid journal and measuring your food. Protein first, cut out simple carbs.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org