RNY gastric bypass surgery to a revision

rocky513
on 6/19/16 9:47 am, edited 6/19/16 5:05 am - WI

The big red flags in this thread are that you are blaming your family for your weight regain and that you don't want to hear sensible advice on how you are supposed to eat after WLS.  Unless you understand that YOU, and only YOU, are responsible for the regain, no revision in the world will work for you.  If you are placing blame on everyone else, you are not ready for a revision.  WLS takes a lifetime commitment in eating right and following the WLS rules.  The surgery is only a tiny piece of the weight loss puzzle.  You have to figure out where the other pieces fit in order to be successful.  Surgery was never meant to do all the work in your weight loss. 

You said that your pouch is not damaged, but is considerably bigger.  Doing the five day meat test and not eating carbs is a good place to start.  Once you start eating mostly meat, you might find out that you still have good restriction.  Carbs are easy to eat and we can eat a boatload of them.  They also make you have wicked cravings.  Why not give the meat test a try?  What have you got to lose?  Revisions are dangerous and some insurances only allow one WLS in a lifetime.  If you want a revision, you may be paying for it out of pocket.

I too am a revision.  I know how to fail at WLS.  I also had every complication you can think of from having a bad surgeon do my VBG making my revision very complicated.  I had 5 doctors refuse to touch me until I was referred to Mayo Clinic.  Even they told me I had a one in four chance of not surviving the surgery.  If you go the revision route, please make sure your surgeon knows what he's doing.  Revisions are not an easy surgery.

I took my second chance at life very seriously.  That meant that I had to take a hard look at my habits.  It was not pretty.  I had to come to terms that "blazing my own trail" after my first surgery caused me to regain.  Now was my chance to follow the rules and do it right.  I lose 100% of my weight and got to 15 pounds below goal.  I'm still within 5 pounds of my lowest weight.  I wake up everyday and choose to eat right and move my body.  It's all on me.  My husband eats whatever he wants.  I do not. I have ice cream in the house for him that I don't touch because I know where it will take me.  

Best wishes to you!  You have a lot of contemplating to do.

edited so it would make sense

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Christine Knorr
Wiatrowski

on 6/19/16 2:53 pm - Ventnor City, NJ

I'm sorry to make you think I was blaming my family...I blame myself completely.  I was the one who slowly lost control with the carbs...I know now that failure is not an option for me.  I'll have to try the 5 day meat test...thanks

Laura in Texas
on 6/19/16 6:14 am

Well said, Ladytazz. It is so good to hear from someone who has had a revision and is being successful the second time around. Sadly, too many people do not learn that lesson.

I hope the OP listens to your advice. As I have shared before, my friend revised from RNY to DS because she wanted to eat whatever she wanted. She had her revision with someone who did not know what in the hell he was doing. She had years of pain and hospitalizations before she eventually died. She was so young and my heart still breaks for her young kids.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Lovely_Caprice
on 6/19/16 4:19 am

Just curious, how can someone be more compliant the 2nd time if they were not the 1st?  Just curious.

(deactivated member)
on 6/19/16 9:10 am

we LEARN ( thank God )

Ladytazz
on 6/19/16 1:20 pm, edited 6/19/16 4:30 pm

For me it was total self honesty, full accountability of my actions and learning from my mistakes.

It was accepting that WLS was a physical tool but it did nothing about the emotional issues that cause or go with compulsive over eating.

It is kind of ironic that they operated on my stomach when my problems mostly stemmed from my thinking.  There is nothing physically wrong with me or different then anyone else.  If I eat less I lose weight just like anyone else.  I thought I was unfairly sought out by the world to be punished for eating like everyone else but cursed with obesity.  I had to accept those things and work on other coping mechanisms.

I consider myself fortunate in that I have a valuable asset in my previous failure.  I have never been good at learning when others tell me what I am doing is wrong but I sure like to hope I can learn from my own mistakes and keep from repeating them.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

DoryAnne2
on 6/22/16 8:41 am
RNY on 04/01/13

Love your response, you're very articulate.  I'm one of the lucky ones...I lost all my excess weight the first year and am now maintaining my weight loss for 2+ years.  However, I know that I must stay VIGILANT every day.  My eating is not perfect, but I discipline myself to exercise every day and I cut back on my eating whenever my weight is at the top of my range. 

I agree that it's so much more "in our heads" and that, after losing the weight, in order to keep it off we have to seriously change our relationship with food and negative eating habits.  It's a day at a time battle, but we're never "there" and the weight loss is only the beginning, and easiest, part of maintaining a healthy weight for life. 

I would also question having a second surgery if someone didn't follow all the guidelines the first time.  Even at that point, if any of us only ate mostly protein and veggies, small portions, and exercised, we'd lose our weight without a second, dangerous surgery. 

HW:  268    SW:  255    GW:155    CW:  158

THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE AREN'T THINGS.

RNY Surgery on 4/1/13   with Dr. Gohil

Christine Knorr
Wiatrowski

on 6/19/16 3:00 pm - Ventnor City, NJ

ummm...well, you have to change your mind set...just because I failed doesn't mean I have not learned from my mistakes

Christine Knorr
Wiatrowski

on 6/19/16 3:09 pm - Ventnor City, NJ

ummm...well, you have to change your mind set...just because I failed doesn't mean I have not learned from my mistakes

Laura in Texas
on 6/19/16 6:28 am

RNY to DS is your best bet but as Ladytazz said, please find a surgeon who knows how to do this. Many surgeons will revise you to a distal RNY, bypassing more of your small intestine. From everything I have read, the DS is better.

Keep researching. Good luck.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."