RNY gastric bypass surgery to a revision

Christine Knorr
Wiatrowski

on 6/18/16 5:47 pm, edited 9/27/16 9:30 pm - Ventnor City, NJ

I had RNY gastric bypass surgery in 2002 and have regained almost all the weight I lost...I am thinking about a revision...if that's even available these days.  Are there different versions of a revisions?  Other then revisions what are my options for a successful surgery with the most weight loss?

NYMom222
on 6/18/16 6:16 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Christine are you on track and not losing the weight? Or can't get back on track? Check out the Five-Day-Meat test... link below, helps get you back to protein forward and get the carb monkey off your back.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Christine Knorr
Wiatrowski

on 6/18/16 9:11 pm - Ventnor City, NJ

I really wasn't looking for tips to get back on track or to get off carbs...my questions were specific...thanks anyway 

montanadi
on 6/21/16 4:59 am - Sheridan, MT

Hi there, I clicked on the link and went to the site but when I click on the sample menus pages there is nothing but an explanation of how many calories a day. I was expecting to see menu suggestions.. ? 

NYMom222
on 6/21/16 7:44 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Hmm...there was a sample menu there.... You are right though, there isn't one now. I will have to check with Julie who set up the page...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

ladygodiva1228
on 6/21/16 10:37 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Two of the menus suggestions have been updated and the third will be done later this week. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

montanadi
on 6/21/16 10:46 am - Sheridan, MT

Great! Thanks! 

Ladytazz
on 6/19/16 1:16 am

The first step is to see your original surgeon, or if they aren't available, a WLS surgeon who can evaluate your current status and see if your surgery is still intact. 

Barring any mechanical failures you can see about having a revision to another surgery like the sleeve or DS but those revisions can be complicated.

If you are interested in revising to the DS it is imperative that you have a very skilled revision surgery.  I'm not sure of your location but there are very few qualified surgeons who can do this revision due to it's complex nature and it can be very costly.

I am a revision and I can tell you it was no walk in the park, much more difficult then the original surgery.

If you do decide to go that route it is very important that you understand completely why you failed with the first surgery or you won't fare any better the second time.  If it was due to poor eating those things need to be addressed in order to have a successful revision.  

WLS will give you tools to lose weight and keep it off but you still need to do the work.  I had to really be honest with myself about my first failure.  I did not have a revision due to regain.  I had decided that my problems were because of my eating and all the surgeries in the world would not help me if I didn't get that under control.

However, I had health issues that needed to be resolved through surgery and I decided that if I had to have a revision I was going to understand why I failed so I had a better chance of success this time.

So far it has helped.  I have kept the weight off for over 5 years.  The first time I had no maintenance period.  As soon as I was done losing weight I started regaining it again.  

But, before you can do anything you need to see a doctor and find out what is going on with your current configuration and see if a revision is even necessary.  If it isn't I really encourage you to work with what you have.  

What is it about having a second surgery that would make being compliant any easier then it was the first time?  

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Christine Knorr
Wiatrowski

on 6/19/16 2:11 am - Ventnor City, NJ

I know why I failed...I have no eating or exercising discipline...if I qualify for a revision I want to be more viligant with both...and be willing to say no when I'm offered something more to eat...my family means well but I think we all failed in my situation.  I've had a few enoscopies in the last year and have been told that my anatomy is intact but my pouch is way bigger then it should be...I don't want the band after bypass...maybe the sleeve or DS if either are possible...I think I'm going to call a surgeon on Monday and get myself set up for the seminar...thanks for your insight

PS...is your name by any chance Mary living over the pond?...your username looks so familiar

Ladytazz
on 6/19/16 2:37 am

Don't get me wrong, I have no eating or exercise discipline, either, or I wouldn't have qualified for WLS in the first place.

But I will ask you the same thing I asked myself.  How will having a second WLS change that when the first one didn't?  WLS did not give me any discipline at all.  It did help with portion control and aversion works in my case.  I dump and prefer not to so I avoid sugar at all costs.

But the main question is what will be different this time that wasn't the first time?  How will WLS make you willing to say no when it didn't help you in your present situation?

I'm not discouraging you from having a revision, just trying to get you to think about how you might be willing to do things differently so you will have a different outcome.  And if you could do those things after surgery why can't you do them now?  What would be different?  You HAVE WLS and you still make bad choices.  Having it again would be different how?

And no, I am not Mary and I live on this side of the pond.  Must be a common name.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.