Question about cooking and freezing portions

Mary Gee
on 6/17/16 5:02 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

THREE subzero refrigerators filled with old, gross food???  What's the point in that??  Unless you're going to be making compost for the garden??  Why don't you get rid of the food?

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Mary Gee
on 6/17/16 5:18 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

OP... sorry I got sidetracked.  To answer your question, I wouldn't suggest cooking much in advance.  Your tastes may change after surgery.  I used to love chicken, and I'm just now able to enjoy it again... but only bone-in breasts, and I take the skin off after cooking.  Boneless/skinless breasts are too dry, and legs/thighs gross me out.

In the beginning you'll be drinking shakes.  You should get samples for $1.95 each from nashuanutrition.com.  After that it will be pureed food.  For great recipes for various shakes and pureed food, check out theworldaccordingtoeggface.com.  She has a great recipe for a Ricotta Bake that many people rave about.

Best of luck to you.  We'll be seeing you soon on the Losers' Bench.

Donna L.
on 6/17/16 7:42 pm, edited 6/17/16 12:43 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Check the website http://www.stilltasty.com/

As for my own "rules," if well-packed meat can last 6-12 months frozen.  Soups 3-6 months.  Depends how you freeze it.  I portion things into 4 ounces and freeze them in ziploc bags.  I reheat them in glassware.  

This month I pre-cooked 40 meals.  I do it all at once on one day, but you could cook a big meal each night then freeze 3-4 extra portions if you wanted.  I will not have to cook again until July.  I made:

Zucchini & Beef casserole

Beef & Lentil Soup

Spinach crustless quiche

Bunless burgers

White chicken chili

Beef cabbage stir fry (crack slaw)

Shredded garlic lamb

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Mary Gee
on 6/17/16 9:16 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Thanks for the link Donna.  I don't usually pre-cook meals, but I do buy family size packages of meat, and I break it down into portion sizes before I freeze it.  My freezer is chock full of various meats.  I do want to get into more pre-cooking.  This weekend I plan on making some of Eggfaces' 'egg bites' - mini crustless quiches. 

lking
on 6/18/16 12:02 am, edited 6/17/16 5:05 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

I freeze/froze just about everything I cook(ed), in 2oz serving size.  I use regular Ziplock bags according to the size I need (snack or sandwich), then will store as many filled bags inside a larger Ziplock freezer bag, marking the contents and date on the outside. The contents last for many months.  Some fresh veggies, first blanch, then freeze to use later in recipes.  Google the veggie to see if it should be blanched before freezing.

Chili is one thing you will want to cook in abundance and freeze.  I freeze mine in family size servings.  When heated I just ladle out my serving size then give the rest to the family.  To begin with, for your pureed/soft food stage, make it vegetarian chili.  This is something you can freeze in ice cube trays then dump the cubes into a freezer bag...remove and heat as needed.  Do the same thing with chicken and beef broth for your liquid stage...what you don't consume before moving to your next stage can be used as bases for cooking later.

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

Ashley in Belgium
on 6/18/16 5:11 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Even at 3 years out I freeze almost all of my go to foods in measured portions. I use silicon muffin trays and freeze soup, chilli, ricotta bake, etc. I pop them into a ziplock bag and have entire freezer drawers full of RNY friendly food so I am never caught without high protein food for myself :)

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

(deactivated member)
on 6/19/16 8:49 am, edited 6/19/16 1:50 am

pretty cool idea actually

(n I hate 2 waste food)