Almost at your personal goal weight ? A few healthy sustainable habits that keep off ten lbs for...

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/16 6:13 am, edited 6/19/16 1:45 am

1) Evening primrose or flaxseed oil supplements ( reduce inflammation and cravings for fatty foods and excess calories ) GNC 's Tonalin is another version .. one that's been clinically proven to increase definition and weight loss .

2) Probiotics .. I personally love Siggi's drinkable nonfat yogurt from whole foods.. I notice the difference in my body not holding onto bloat and better digestion ( and skin) the day after consumption.

3) Kale/spinach/green vegetable  juice (low carb as possible ) as a snack during the day .  Its possible to buy juice mixes that are as low as 12 grams carbs for the entire bottle and they still taste good .  VERY filling and healthy-feeling.

4) Reduce the sodium.  Whether its a  fast food burger grabbed on the go justified as its only a few calories more .. or my guilty snack of air popped popcorn butter buds and fat free cheese sauce made from fat free cheese slices, macaroni and cheese mix, butter buds and fat free milk .. its all crazy high salt content .. which  makes you bloat   and crave MORE . I try to " just say NO "

5) It makes sense to stay hot during the summer .. sweating , sun , the beach and gardening all solve cellulite and loose skin issues ... as well as helping drop pounds .  Regular sauna is a jockey/bodybuilder /boxer staple to make weight/stage definition .  We can choose make the summer heat work for  our weight loss plan...or turn up the air conditioning which DOESN'T.

6) Getting enough sleep has been PROVEN to help with weight loss and keeping regain away.  In my case exercise makes me sleep like a BABY .If I can't make time for  that or weather doesn't permit  .. a bubblebath or Jacuzzi works too

7) Daily exercise .. preferably first thing in the morning .  The body HATES carrying around excess baggage when you're regularly on the move .. this is why running WORKS .. but so does Zumba , dancing , even walking . Swimming is AMAZINGLY body-changing too .

8) The affection and tending to the needs of a pet has been proven to lead to a less obese population of pet owners. ( so they say )

9) For me , getting out of the house with an art class or a JOB is definitely more conducive to moving and eating less ..

10) I like to add extra fresh vegetables into EVERYTHING .. which means basically cooking a lot at home.

11) Finally trying on and purchasing a few well-fitting flattering  outfits is a necessary reward for the necessary daily self-discipline required to keep a banging body ...I try to make my boyfriend pay for the excursions to Dr. Jay's  on his payday :)  and reward him for his generosity  by being cute arm-candy

12) For me a beautiful organized clutter and mess-free light-filled comfortable  home is absolutely necessary not to turn to excess food or worse.

13) Competing in some organized sports is also fun, social and not an eating activity !

14) Gardening and growing an organic garden leads to eating the right fresh  things breathing good air , enjoying sunshine  and ACTIVITY ( and beauty)

15) This should have been earlier on... but garlic and ginger lower blood pressure and thin the blood, making it easier to oxygenate and exercise ...

16) And switching from coffee to tea ( which speeds the metabolism and again thins the blood ) makes almost everyone who switches keep off five or more lbs. permanently ..

17) Pushing to eat most of my calories early in the day ( and " never"  after 8 pm (I wish) .  What this actually looks like day to day  is a real breakfast upon waking up ( often dinner food from the night before I managed to " put down" by telling myself I could eat it the next morning ).. snacking and a big lunch usually before 3 pm... and then light foods ( soups, salads with fat free dressing) afterwards .

18) I try to limit the alcohol ( it IS fattening ) and aging ...  If a lifestyle choice is causing me to want to or drink more often or drink more ... I take a very serious look at it and usually  try to make ( uncomfortable ) improvements .

19) I DON"T sign up for /tolerate  disrespectful treatment from others .  That means the guy who expects me to be his free housekeeper/laundress / cook .. can either pay to have those things done or not darken my door at least as a housemate  .  I no longer  allow financially irresponsible people to vex me or risk my financial security.  I try to limit my interactions to people who are good for me who  actually improve my quality of life .

17) I find that actively pursuing my dreams ( even though I am afraid ) and investing in myself works to make me value myself and my health even more .. and therefore I act out a lot  less with the  excess bites. 

(((()))  Its a a process .. the good news is that like bariatric  surgery focusing on health WORKS and ( finally )  really DOES provide a permanent solution to creeping weight gain  ( at least it has in my case after a lifetime of struggle )

Dee R.
on 6/17/16 6:18 am - CA

I love this!  Thank you!!

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/16 6:42 am

Congratulations on your successful journey Dee !! 124 lbs down  WOW!

Dee R.
on 6/17/16 7:22 am - CA

Thank you!  It's been an awesome journey! 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/17/16 8:38 am
RNY on 08/05/19

1: The only scientific research I found noted that flaxseed decreased inflammation; weight loss was due to the study participants' low-carb diets. The flax did not cause weight loss. On evening primrose, "research suggests a lack of evidence for EPO's efficacy in weight-loss and obesity."

5: The only effective treatments for cellulite are fat transfer and improved circulation. Heat and sunlight alone won't do squat.

6: Poor sleep only is a risk factor for obesity. Getting sleep does not affect weight loss.

8: Pet ownership has been proven to impact serotonin and heart health, but there is no immediate connection to body mass.

14: Organic produce is nutritionally identical to "conventional" fruits and veggies.

16: The metabolic impact of tea is the same as that of coffee.

If you're going to claim that things are "scientific" or "proven," please make sure that's actually the case. A lot of these points are flat out wrong.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/17/16 12:18 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Science prevails again!

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/17/16 1:31 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/16 8:47 am

Different studies say different things ... and unfortunately I don't have the time ( or knowledge how to do it) to post links here .. but I'm sure people are capable of researching on their own. 

If lack of sleep leads to weight gain ( which is proven) - obviously sleeping enough is a necessary component of weight loss, no?

Serotonin release  through pet handling and caretaking... means a person craves less serotonin release from excess bites , right?

The tea vs coffee one is proven .. all teas but especially green tea and oolongs slightly speed the metabolism.. and your average Starbux coffee drink has what - 360 calories ( up to like I kid you not 600 ?!! ) The " high" from tea also lasts a lot longer whereas coffee is an up-and-down blood sugar spike that requires you to drink another shot of coffee a few hours later. This too is proven.

But thanks for the feedback .. its interesting.